Author Topic: Calling all Pagoda Drivers/Enthusiast in Ontario Canada  (Read 9382 times)

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
Calling all Pagoda Drivers/Enthusiast in Ontario Canada
« on: March 17, 2021, 00:36:25 »
Hello Fellow Ontarians,

Thanks for stoping by and having a read of this proposal.

I am trying to arrange a event to pick up our mood a bit and direct our attention to our Pagoda. ~smile~ We are all at the moment and have been for the past year, somewhat handicapped by the coronavirus that made it’s way around the world and created so much hardship for people. This however, should not stop us to get together as a group to share our knowledge about our cars and have some fun. We do need something to look forward to so why not a get together within the area that we live. We done this last fall here in the London, Ontario area when we found Dave in Port Stanley ON. and arranged for our 4 Pagodas to get together on a nice Sunday afternoon (see attached photo). We ended the afternoon at Dave’s house with a drink, some snacks and a lively discussion.

There are 50 Ontario, Canada Pagoda Drivers/Enthusiast, 25 are Full Members and 25 are Associate Members per my latest count on our Spreadsheet that is available in our Technical Manual (Members>View the memberlist - sorted by Location).

I think September would be a good time for an event to do this. We all should by then have received our 2 covid-19 vaccination shots. While social distances and masks will still be recommended at least everyone has been protected by the vaccine shot(s).

So here is the deal, why don’t we organize a get-together right here in our wonderful province of Ontario. Even if it turns out to be only 15 cars from the 50 individuals mentioned above it will be very nice. Naturally Members from our neighbouring provinces Quebec and Manitoba as well as US States, New York and  Michigan are also very much welcomed to join us.

Our Polish Friends are having there 5th Event this year, you may have seen the link I’ve read someplace that the event sold out in about one hour.

—— > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2QuP9cLiWU

Suggested Assembly Area

LRT Oakville On. Parking Lot is one suggestion. When I was a BMW member we meet here for our start of our Events.

——-> Google “LRT Oakville Ontario Station” to get to there web site.

or at a classic car museum, I am sure there are a few in central Ontario.

Depending if it should be a 1 or 2 day event, if a 2 day event we could all meet at the event hotel.

Let me know if you should have a better suggestion for an assembly point.

Suggested Car Show

Antique Automobile Club of America is holding it’s 50 show East of Toronto August 14th and 15th 2021 is one suggestion.

——-> http://www.aacaontario.ca/antique-automotive-flea-market.html

Let me know if you should have a better suggestion for an event to attend.

Duration Preference

Do you prefer a one or two day event?

Volunteers required to organize for;-

A driving route
Coffee stops
 Lunch stop
Event Hotel (if it should turn out to be a 2 day event)

So may I ask that you post a brief post right here if you are interested in participating or not. There will be no fee involved whatsoever, except what you may have to pay to enter a museum or the suggested Antique Automobile Club of America. I like to recommend that everyone looks after there own meals or bring along a cooler for a picnic etc. Unless it becomes a 2 day event then meals can be taken at the event hotel as needed. So let me know;-

If you are interested
If you are not interested
if you have any recommendations
if you prefer a 1 day or a 2 day event.

Let us start with that and once we know the level of interest then we can make plans and finalize the event. As I mentioned before, something to look forward to.

Thanks for reading and getting back to me what you Fellow Ontarian's think of this. Let us make it a project and something to look forward to during those difficult times we all have to deal with right now. .

Stay safe and enjoy Spring when it arrives in your area.

Dieter

Attached - Photo of our last Fall outage Dave, Hugh, Peter and wife Donna & Dieter

- Table showing Full and Associate Members for Ontario. In PDF Format below the photograph.

PS - 1

A) Cobble Beach September —-> 18 & 19, 2021 https://www.cobblebeachconcours.com/schedule-of-events

B) Toronto August 14 & 15, 2021—-> http://www.aacaontario.ca/antique-automotive-flea-market.html

Anyone that is interested to participate please let us know if you prefer to attend event A or B and reply here on this tread. I plan to update the PDF Spreadsheet every weekend from now until the end of April 2021, After that date I will reduce the PDF rows to only those individuals that are interested in either event A or B.

PS - 2

Should your Pagoda not be drivable since it is being restored etc. and you like to go then post on this topic here. Perhaps you can find someone that has a passenger seat free in his/her Pagoda.

EDIT - Added PS - 1 and PS - 2 Also see Reply 2 and 4 below for details.
EDIT - 08/04/21 updated table below (see Numbers attachement) now 24 interested indeviduals.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 00:19:32 by Rolf-Dieter »
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

Hugh

• Regular
  • Canada, Ontario, London
  • Former Pagoda SL Group Board Member
Re: Calling all Pagoda Drivers/Enthusiast in Ontario Canada
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 01:59:20 »
Hi Dieter; Thanks for getting us going on something positive in these tough Covid times. I would be interested. Also the Niagara region might be good? I would be open to 1 or 2 days. Best, Hugh
1967 Mercedes 250SL
1988 Ferrari Testarossa
1930 Ford Model A coupe
2011 Mercedes e350 sedan

Tycoon

• Junior Level
  • Canada, Ontario, Blue Mountains
  • ‘68 Euro 280
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 04:13:10 »
Hello Dieter and thank you for taking the initiative to give us all something to potentially look forward to. I, and three other Pagoda owners reside in the Collingwood area, on the shores of Georgian Bay, which offers some great touring/driving routes, a Concourse event in September (Cobble Beach), and an abundance of accommodations and dining establishments ( Village at Blue Mountain) should a two day event be desired. Grey-Bruce Heath unit is currently enjoying a Green Zone status, and hopefully will remain this way all summer. A two hour driving radius to Collingwood would likely capture a large number of Ontario participants, with an assortment of access routes to the area along with the four season appeal of the region.
I have enjoyed the content and endless dialog of the forum as a year-old member and would be delighted to assist in planning ( especially if this area is selected) and to participate in a two day event and meet some additional members in and around the Southern Ontario region.
Looking forward to some other member suggestions.....
Regards,
Bill Vomvolakis
416-543-0841 Cel.

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 22:18:48 »
Count me in Dieter.  I often use this web site to plan day trips outside the Niagara area.  Great for identifying restaurants, breweries, site seeing and driving routes.  https://www.ontariossouthwest.com/
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 20:54:34 »
Hi Bill,

Thank you for recommending this! Depending on the level of interest to this thread we may have 2 groups of cars. One preferring the Cobble Beach Concours event September 18th and 19th. The second group preferring the Toronto Antique Automobile Club of America event August 14th and 15th. Some might even like to attend both, time will tell.

A) Cobble Beach September —-> 18 & 19, 2021 https://www.cobblebeachconcours.com/schedule-of-events

B) Toronto August 14 & 15, 2021—-> http://www.aacaontario.ca/antique-automotive-flea-market.html

I personally like to attend the Cobble Beach Event in September it was cancelled last year due to covid-19, however, it looks like a go ahead this year,

Bill can you or one of the other Pagoda owners in your area check if our Pagodas can participate in the car show event (park as a group on the grounds) or do we have to park in the parking lot? One of our London owners had the Pagoda completely restored 2 years ago and I think it certainly qualifies as a show car. As I recall when I wanted to attend the show a few years ago one had to provide photos and information on the car. I don’t seam to find anything to that effect on there web site. Perhaps you can check on this.

Thanks and stay safe!

Dieter

PS - 1

Anyone that is interested to participate please let us know if you prefer to attend event A or B and reply here on this tread. I plan to update the PDF Spreadsheet every weekend from now until the end of May 2021, After that date I will reduce the PDF rows to only those individuals that are interested in either event A or B.

PS - 2

Should your Pagoda not be drivable since it is being restored etc. and you like to go then post on this topic here. Perhaps you can find someone that has a passenger seat free in his/her Pagoda.

mnahon

• Silver
  • Canada, QC, Montreal
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 23:01:57 »
Hi Dieter,

I think I'd be interested to join; I wouldn't be sure until the date draws closer and I'd be better able to assess the covid situation at that time. I have a preference for the August event because the dates are more convenient for me; but if it turned out to be the September one, there's a good chance I could make that too.

Meyer
Meyer Nahon
Montreal, Canada
1968 MB 280SL Auto Euro LHD Silver
2021 Tesla Model 3

opopotts

• Associate Member
  • Regular
  • Canada, ON, Douglas Dees
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2021, 23:08:33 »
Rolf: I would love to attend both
Doug

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2021, 01:32:44 »
I'm interested. So much of this depends on where we are later this year.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2021, 02:35:23 »
Hi Dan,

I know, let us hope by mid August most Canadians had there 2 shots and we can move safer around, be more protected. I am sure we will continue the recommended

- washing of hands
- maintain social distencing
- wearing our masks

In the meantime let us look forward to something we all relate to.

Dieter

Carson

• Junior Level
  • Canada, ON, Blue Mountains
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2021, 04:34:36 »
I would like to attend both events but at this point my car is totally disassembled.  However if I don't get it completed I could still attend with my 190SL.  The goal is to have my 280 on the road this summer.  Black and saddle interior.  1969 5 speed, no clearance lights, European Bosch Headlights, totally re-built engine by the Mercedes Engine Plant in Toronto c/w all fasteners, clamps etc., solid piping re-plated.  Cooling system piping, battery brackets, radiator shroud all powder coated.  All new floors, new soft top, including new Paint no colour change.  Awesome

Gerry Carson
Gerry Carson
Black on Tan 1969 280SL 5 Speed
Silver on black 1957 190 SL

mmpkp

• Inactive
  • Junior Level
  • Canada, Ontario, Newmarket
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2021, 08:18:37 »
I would also be interested in attending both events. M.P

toronto_car_collector

• Junior Level
  • Canada, Ontario, Brampton
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2021, 14:59:22 »
Hello Dieter, Thanks for the invite but I am starting a full restoration on my pagoda this year. It will be a couple of years until its finished. But I will Definitely be going to cobble beach with my 1979 350SE.
Thomas
1967 280SL 4 Speed Manual
1974 450SL
1979 350SE 4 Speed manual
1979 450SEL 6.9
1977 450SEL 6.9
1980 300TD
1980 200 4 Speed manual
1984 300SD
1991 350SD
1991 600SEL
1993 S600
1991 560SEL OM606/722.6 Swap
1997 SL600
05 CL65 AMG
06 SL65 AMG
06 S65 AMG
07 S65 AMG
08 CL65 AMG
2014 SL65 AMG

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2021, 15:23:49 »
I have contacted the administration at Cobble Beach regarding cars entering the concourse. Only 6 cars of the same style/make are allowed on the concourse. Each of those cars need to be registered see the link below (Register). On Saturday September 18th there will be a tour see link below (Saturday Tour & Cars & Coffee) for details.

Register ———> https://www.cobblebeachconcours.com/participant-registration

Saturday Tour ———> https://www.cobblebeachconcours.com/events#ParticipantTour

Saturday Cars & Coffee Registration ——> https://www.cobblebeachconcours.com/cars-coffee

Dieter

Attachments; Maps to get to Blue Mountain & Cobble Beach
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 15:42:07 by Rolf-Dieter »

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
Message from Cobble Beach Concours d’Elegance
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2021, 17:27:38 »
For clarety, I am posting for those that are interested at the Cobble Beach Concours d’Elegance Event the message (see below), that I reieved after my telephone discussion with there office here for you.

Should the event at Cobble Beach Concours d’Elegance be cancelled in September 2021 due to covid-19 concerns I would as a plan "C" consider a tour of the Niagara area. Niagara Falls and the town of "Niagara on the Lake" would provide an excelent alternative perhaps include a visit to one of the local wineries.

Dieter

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello Dieter,

Nice speaking with you today.

Here is the direct link to register for the Cobble Beach Concours d’Elegance. - www.cobblebeachconcours.com/participant-registration
Each car that is displayed on the concours field has been pre-registered, reviewed by our selection community and a formal acceptance letter send to the owner. (Registering a car for the Concours does not guarantee a spot in our show. We get over 500 registration for 130 spots). Cars that are accepted into the Concours show must be in concours condition and not modified.  We group the vehicles into classes for judging, most classes are made up of 8 vehicles. We try to only have 1 or 2 of the same make/models in a class unless we are doing a featured class. Our classes for 2021 can be found here - www.cobblebeachconcours.com/entrants#EntryCategories. We do change classes each year. A vehicles can only attend the show once ever 4 years. 

Another option for your group would be our Cars and Coffee event on Saturday. This event is open is any vehicle 25 years or older. Pre-registration is require and there is a fee which goes to the charity. Cars and Coffee registration can be found at - www.cobblebeachconcours.com/cars-coffee

In the past we have had selected car club parking for groups that want to attend our show on Sunday. Car club parking in located closer to the main show area. Each participants must purchase concours show tickets, as well as do a $45 donation to Sunnybrook foundation (one of our charities). Cars must arrive by 8:30am and stay until 4:00pm on the Sunday.  We will need to arrange this ahead of the show. We normal start arranging car club parking in June/July for the September show. At this time I can’t confirm if this will be available for this year’s show.

Please note: While we continue to monitor the situation relating to the Covid-19 pandemic and while following Health Canada (& Ontario) regulations, at this time we are unable to confirm whether our 2021 event will take place. Rest assured, we continue to put the health and safety of our participants, judges, staff and community as our top priority. We hope in the coming months we will have clarity on the feasibility of holding this event in September.       

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Kathryn Cox
Cobble Beach Concours d'Elegance – Event Manager
image001.jpg
3080 Yonge St. Suite 4070
Toronto, ON  M4N 3N1
Phone 416.366.4820 x228
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 21:14:09 by Rolf-Dieter »

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2021, 20:25:30 »
As a "Plan B" just in case that Cobble Beach will cancel this year's event due to covid-19 I would recommend a tour of the Niagara Falls Area. The Falls and the little town of Niagara on the Lake are great places to visit. A winery can also be visited one interesting one would be the Château des Charmes, the owner came from France, worked for a winery in the Niagara area. He proposed to blend/grow french grapes and those grown in the Niagara area. His boss turned him down, so he quit and started his own business. Today he runs one of the most successful wineries in the area. It's alwaays good to have a plan B :)

Niagara Falls —— > https://www.niagarafallstourism.com

Niagara on the Lake ——> https://www.notl.org/content/visiting-our-community

Winery —— > Château des Charmes (enter into Google for details)

Dieter

PS. I visited the Château des Charmes a few years back and had a great time.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 20:29:57 by Rolf-Dieter »

Jack Jones

• Silver
  • Canada, ON, Milton
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2021, 02:25:18 »
Hello Dieter,

I am interested in both events.

Jack
Jack Jones                                                                                                   
1970 280SL 4 Speed
1984 280SL 5 Speed

MPJJE100

• Junior Level
  • Canada, Quebec, Lac-Supérieur
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2021, 11:33:06 »
i am very interested please add me to the list.

thanks

Peter

GreenPagoda

• Junior Level
  • Canada, Ontario, Toronto
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2021, 15:51:07 »
Hi there,

Thank you for the update and the invitation.  I would be most interested in attending, however my vehicle is in pieces, undergoing significant frame and body restoration.  It will not be road worthy for the event, but I would be interested in "tagging along" to meet other Pagoda owners.  Please keep me in mind with updates on the event.
Steve C

pj

• Gold
  • Canada, ON, London, Ontario
  • 1965 230SL
    • my home page
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2021, 20:51:52 »
Sounds like fun. I'm interested.
Peter J
1965 230SL #09474 named Dagny
2018 B250 4matic named Rigel

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2021, 00:44:00 »
Another weekend is upon us and yes covid-19 is still in the air. Most of us are still on lockdown, vacinations are ongoing, however, with some roll out issues of the vaccine. 4 million Canadians so far have been vaccinated and the death rate in long term care homes seams to be getting under control (no long term deaths since March 19 in long term care homes here in Ontario, Canadas largest Province - I hope for the same where you live).

Anyway all this should not discourage us from planing for the late summer. For us Ontario drivers there is the Niagara region, I found a nice web site that is worthwhile exploring as our Plan "C" in case Cobble Beach decides to cancel like they did last year. Here is the site worthwhile to read (it reads better with a glass of your favorate wine ~s~ :)

So far we have 16 interesting Members for Events A or B, some even like to attend both events.

Site Niagara region ---> https://www.niagarafallscrowneplazahotel.com/blog/2015/07/4-routes-that-prove-niagara-is-perfect-for-a-road-trip/

Dieter

BTW. I have two (2) possible valontiers anyone els?

Frontseat Driving

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2021, 18:15:24 »
Hello, thanks for the invite.  I am interested in all but August 14th which I unfortunately have to work.  That said, I'm not certain I would necessarily be welcomed as I actually own a W111 Fintail not a Pagoda.

Regardless of my car being welcomed, if you require any assistance with planning driving routes, I'd be happy to assist.  I have extensive experience organizing driving events, and would be please to assist. 

For anyone interested, highlights of my tours can be found at Frontseat Driving, on Facebook or Instagram @frontseatdriving .  All I need is the basic parameters (time, distance, start/finish points) and I can come up with something sure to please. 

jeblack123

• Senior
  • USA, GA, Albany
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2021, 02:20:43 »
Hey Dieter and thanks for floating the idea out there. If the borders of Canada are opened back up to those of us South of it, I may be interested in taking a 7-10 day trip to include this event. Will continue to watch as your plans shape up and on the every developing pandemic.

James (Eddie) Black

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2021, 21:18:05 »
I'm not certain I would necessarily be welcomed as I actually own a W111 Fintail not a Pagoda.

Certainley you are welcomed to join us with your car. We do have another Fintail in the Group, you may know him Dug D. from Toronto, Dug is the past Presisent of the MB Toronto Section I believe.

Thanks for your offer to help planning a road trip, we will get to this as we get closer to the event.

Dieter
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 23:25:44 by Rolf-Dieter »

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2021, 22:52:54 »
Don, Please remove your "Jason?" post. It was obviously a misdirected PM.

Thanks

I will remove this post once you removed yours. Dieter

MarkCan

• Silver
  • Canada, Ontario, Mississauga
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2021, 11:52:41 »
Please count me in for both.
Looks like the events no pagoda owner would like to miss.
I don’t expect to have the 230 road ready by than but I can certainly follow along in another star bearing automobile.
Thank you for taking the initiative.
Mark

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2021, 21:14:51 »
Gentleman,

Please help me to complete the attached spreadsheet by the end of April 2021 so that we may finalize this spreadsheet table and start planning the car events and tour(s) around the areas (we are going).

As of today March 31, 2021 there are 23 interested parties that plan to attend one or both events/tours. Everyone by now has been provided with a personal message (PM), I have removed those that have not jet responded, however, will add them if they should respond. Briefly as detailed in this thread above they are;-

EVENT “A” The AACA Automotive Flea Market Lindsay – Hosted by the Ontario Region of the Antique Automobile Club of America, Located East of Toronto, Ontario (for more details see previous posts)

EVENT “B” Cobble Beach Concours event September 18th and 19th. (for more details see previous posts)

EVENT “C” Niagara Falls, Niagara on the Lake and a Winery or two. Timing to be established (we could use the same dates September 18th and 19th), should Cobble Beach be canceled like it was last year due to covid-19. (for more details see previous posts)

So simply copy and paste my questions below into a “Reply” post here and incorporate your reply behind or below each question in another colour or capital letters.

- Will you attend “A” or “B” Event?

- Are you planning to attend both Events?

- Should Event B be cancelled like it was last year would you attend the C Event?

- Would you like the event to be 1 or 2 days? (meet am on the first day, enjoy the  event and attend car tour on the second day?

- Are you traveling alone? I ask this question since there are a few Members that are working on there Pagoda and need a lift for the car tour.

(add your first name below), I plan to make up Name Tags

Thank you for your help and input.

Dieter
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 00:12:37 by Rolf-Dieter »

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2021, 21:18:41 »
- Will you attend “A” or “B” Event? ONLY EVENT B

- Are you planning to attend both Events? NO ONLY EVENT B

- Should Event B be cancelled like it was last year would you attend the C Event? YES IF B IS CANCELLED I WILL ATTEND AND HELP PLANNING C

- Would you like the event to be 1 or 2 days? (meet am on the first day, enjoy the  event and attend car tour on the second day? TWO (2) DAYS

- Are you traveling alone? I ask this question since there are a few Members that are working on there Pagoda and need a lift for the car tour. YES (HOWEVER, MY PASSENGIER SEAT IS SPOKEN FOR)

Dieter

Cherring

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2021, 23:32:16 »
Hi Dieter

I am new to this, having only purchased my Pagod last summer.  Appreciate the reach out.  I would totally be interested in a Toronto meet up in August.  Best, Catherine Herring

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2021, 00:22:14 »
Updated my Tabel (see post No 1 Attachement of the PDF Numbers file below the picture with the Pagoda's), now 24 interested indeviduals.

Dieter

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2021, 16:37:45 »
Please refer to the tread below for UPDATE the Cobble Beach Event is Cancelled.

----> https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=33040.0

Thanks,

Dieter

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2021, 16:19:44 »
Hi there,

Thank you for the update and the invitation.  I would be most interested in attending, however my vehicle is in pieces, undergoing significant frame and body restoration.  It will not be road worthy for the event, but I would be interested in "tagging along" to meet other Pagoda owners.  Please keep me in mind with updates on the event.

I would be happy to offer you a seat in my Pagoda since I be traveling alone (my wile is wheelchair-bound for life). Provided you be planning to attend the Niagara Falls trip on September 18 and 19, 2021.

for details refer to my PDF File below and the latest updates here in our forum.

------> https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=33493.0

Dieter