Author Topic: Bad day in the North Bay :(  (Read 1085 times)

707dieseldean

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, Santa Rosa
Bad day in the North Bay :(
« on: October 31, 2021, 01:36:43 »
  Quick background on Car 69 US spec 280SL 4 speed manual, midnight blue / cream (hardtop & caps) with parchment interior. Ordered on 68 and delivered in 69 to a Doctor in Santa Rosa Cal. My uncle was a car collector, mostly pre-war stuff and luxury vehicles ie: Lincolns, Cadillac & Merc's. As a kid i remember always taking different olds cars to town with my uncle. My uncle bought the Benz from the Doc in 72. Then i remember it setting in the drive way and my uncle saying " Let's take the SL, it' so nice to drive and easy to park." That became his go to driver. I fell in love with the car coming back from a family reunion in the Santa Cruz mountains, cutting the canyons on Hwy 17 in the early 70's (Still remember that ride and conversation to this day). I exclaimed ' I love this car" My uncle " Well it will be yours one day".

Flash forward many years, I pick up the car in Arizona and bring back to California. The car was always stored inside and kept in shape, I found it sitting in the back of the property window down , parts stolen etc.. Wife pretty upset that i was bringing another piece of junk home. Slowly brought back to life and started enjoying the car. Meet up with a group of like minded gear heads and we started monthly drives 75 to 100 miles . [url]https://www.breakfastclubrally.com/url]  I think that i got the web site posted, If not check out the photos on Breakfast Club rally. My daughter is now caught the bug and has been going on rallies with me. This caught my wife's attention and she went on an rally and had fun. Slowing she has been warming up to the car, to the point that she took my daughters spot on the Oct rally. Having a nice ride coming down a steep mountain shift into 3rd gear as going into acurve hear a loud pop and jumps out of gear. (Wifes eyes get big and says what's that.) I put in the clutch and run thru the gears ,seems ok.

Almost made it home, came to an stop and BAM! coming home on a hook :-[ Not a great day for me and the car! transmission is in bad shape. Look like a tooth snapped on the counter shaft and got 1,2 and 4 gear on the main shaft.

Now looking for options....

69 280SL / Manual 4 speed
 904 - Lower Midnight Blue
 158 - Upper White/Grey
 145- Vellum Interior

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
Re: Bad day in the North Bay :(
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 07:59:07 »
Nice story, except the ending! You could have it rebuilt but that might cost >$2k in parts. There should be several good used transmissions around, maybe here in the group. I think the SL manual transmissions are all interchangeable, though the early 230SL may have a lower first gear? Apparently some sedan transmissions can be used if the SL transmission top case cover is swapped over. Or search for a 5-speed.
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

cfm65@me.com

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Mossel Bay, South Africa
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2021, 10:40:45 »
Go for a 5 speed.
Regards
Chris
28 Ford Model A Pickup
29 Chevy Phaeton
67 E Type FHC
67 250SL 5 speed
83 911SC
2015 VW T5 California Pop Top

707dieseldean

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, Santa Rosa
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2021, 18:50:15 »
 Looking to find a cost effective 5 speed set-up is the challenge. 20K for the last new zf in the crate..No Thanks. Buds Benz 4K for rebuilt 4 speed..or $1500 for a core  ??? Just to expensive. Getrag 265/6 are not to be found, 6 speeds on the market are just too much for the car. Married with children during a pandemic presents its own issues!
 Looking for a 5 speed set up with around 0.82 5th gear. Maybe like a Tremec TKO https://www.tremec.com/menu/tko/  With all the knowledge and reach of the forum looking for cost effective suggestions/solutions.
 Adapter plate / modified driveline / rear mount / B/U lamp harness / all issues that will need to be addressed. Open for your idea's and suggestions..Thanks

69 280SL / Manual 4 speed
 904 - Lower Midnight Blue
 158 - Upper White/Grey
 145- Vellum Interior