Author Topic: 1969 4 speed Speedo Cable broken  (Read 1144 times)

timjshanahan

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
1969 4 speed Speedo Cable broken
« on: April 28, 2023, 15:35:53 »
Hello group, I have started to the repair the various issues with my newly acquired 69 280SL. Doing transport the speedometer cable was severed at the bottom under the car. I have purchased another cable and was going to replace it, but have found mixed reports on the difficulties in replacements. IS the 4 speed process different than the automatic? Are there a few gotchas that I need to be aware of before I work on this? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

THX
Tim

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1980 450SL
1966 230SL

timjshanahan

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Re: 1969 4 speed Speedo Cable broken
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2023, 23:07:05 »
Thanks Rodd, yes I read the first few on your list, but was looking for a picture tutorial. I guess the removal of the instrument cluster will allow me to manage both the tach harness and speedo cable, so sounds like the best approach. Plus I want to install the original steering wheel and sell the NARDI wheel that's currently on there.

THX
Tim

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Re: 1969 4 speed Speedo Cable broken
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2023, 03:40:19 »
... but was looking for a picture tutorial. I guess the removal of the instrument cluster will allow me to manage both the tach harness and speedo cable, so sounds like the best approach.
Well, you have an "opportunity".   :)  Learn what you can from those here who can help with details, take a bunch of pics when you go though the process, and then post your own picture tutorial to the Tech Manual.
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1980 450SL
1966 230SL