Author Topic: 1971 original dark brown carpet?  (Read 1199 times)

joes

• Associate Member
  • Regular
  • Canada, Ontario,
1971 original dark brown carpet?
« on: February 10, 2021, 00:29:31 »
Hello All,

I trust you are well and safe in these troubled times.

My car has original dark brown multi-loop carpet and there are 3 speakers in the back vertical panel behind the seats.  I would love to acquire some original carpet, remove speakers and fill those holes in with carpeting. I have been searching for years and there is of course new replacement avail but not sure if I will ever find a piece of original.  My carpet is original and mint otherwise and I do not want to replace the whole lot.

Michael Salemi (our group Treasurer) gave me some sage advice and made a good point in that even if I found a piece of this holy grail carpet it most probably would not match and the filled in patched 'holes' would be noticeable.  If there was a larger piece out there I guess I could replace the whole panel section?

I know this is a a very unusual request but any suggestions would be grand.

Many thanks in advance,
Joe
71 280SL, auto, white-grey (158)/brown (138)
72 911T, 5 spd, silver/black

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: 1971 original dark brown carpet?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 17:49:24 »
I would agree with Michael, if you only fill in the holes, it will stand out like a sore thumb.

Have you looked at what is available from new? You should be able to get a small piece from a vendor to check for a match of color. Note - there is one supplier of carpet for the US and the various vendors get it from them, Veterans I believe. I know there is some consolidation going on, so I don't know if anyone else has tried to get into the US market.

It sort of depends on how much the speakers bother you. Is it worth trying to find/wait/hunt for a piece of unicorn carpet? Only a question you can answer.

Most likely making a contact with a member (or them posting on this thread) of the group in Germany might be your best bet to see if they know of any source for the old carpet.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

FGN59

• Inactive
  • Silver
  • France, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, Marseille
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 17:58:24 »
Another issue might be that the original carpet in your car is probably a little bit faded with time and light, and another piece of the same carpet, even if original and matching, would very likely not match the faded original in the car...?
François

1994 Toyota Land Cruiser SW HDJ80 4.2L diesel
sold:
1969 280SL US specs, 4-speed manual, beige-grey (726H), parchment leather
1962 Jaguar MK2 3.8L (4.2L XJ6 engine), black, tan leather interior
1968 Peugeot 204 roadster, white, black interior
1955 Massey Ferguson TEF20 diesel tractor 😁

hauser

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 18:29:00 »
Gernold may still have the brown carpet that came out of my car.  It was all good except for the rear wall due to having speakers installed by previous owner.