Author Topic: Hydropheunamatic compensating spring thoughts  (Read 1922 times)

bracurrie

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • USA, TN, Nashville
  • The SL to have is a 113, but I don't have one.
Hydropheunamatic compensating spring thoughts
« on: May 15, 2021, 13:36:22 »
For those contemplating issues with failing Hydropheunamatic compensating springs or are thinking of replacing with the spring I thought I would share my experience. I got mine from Niemoller in Germany to replace the spring. https://www.niemoeller.de/en/w108/w108/B018/21/27
The car now rides correctly and adapts to various loads by maintaining rear end ride height.  I've been told that the rest of the rear suspension needs to have good rubber and springs that aren't tired. If springs and/or spring pads are replaced be mindful to get the correct combination.  Then when the hydro is installed the correct spacers are needed to get the rear camber correct. The BBB service manual details the procedure and specs.
It is an expensive part that probably needs to be exercised by driving the car regularly to reduce probability of failure. But hey the whole car does better with regular usage anyway.
Its a cool feature of these swing axle Mercedes Benz cars that enhances both the appearance and ride.
1970 280 SE W108.018
M130.980 w/ US emissions
manual column shift

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
Re: Hydropheunamatic compensating spring thoughts
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 13:50:12 »
Thanks for the post. They are starting to become more available now and that is good. I had to send mine to Germany (ZF) for the rebuild years ago. I replaced the coil spring on mine when doing a total rear axle rebuild. I cannot say I noticed much in the way of improved ride because it rode so well to begin with. Plus I do not have any loads in my coupe more than just one extra passenger. So not sure I am getting the full benefit of the compensator. Still glad I installed it and yes the prevailing thought is that it needs to be used just the rest of the car.
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

bracurrie

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • USA, TN, Nashville
  • The SL to have is a 113, but I don't have one.
Re: Hydropheunamatic compensating spring thoughts
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 15:11:24 »
Here is a video from Mercedes that shows what the Hydropheunamatic compensator is capable of.  The section starts at 7:45. They speak of how much weight they put in the trunk but I can't understand the German well enough to translate. If anybody here does I would love to know.
https://mercedes-benz-publicarchive.com/marsClassic/en/instance/ko.xhtml?oid=4907&relId=1001&resultInfoTypeId=173&fullScreenId=48321#toRelation
1970 280 SE W108.018
M130.980 w/ US emissions
manual column shift