Author Topic: Any W113 mechanics/experts in the NW (Seattle/Tacoma) area?  (Read 1088 times)

teahead

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, WA, Des Moines
  • aka "Rob"
I've given up and can't figure out the slight hesitation from a standing stop.

No hesitation once at speed; just from a stop.

Tried monekying around with everything (timing, fuel, etc.).

New plugs/wires/123 ignition, etc.  Throttle rods.

I just need an expert to dial it in.

Ditto w/the kickdown tranmission.  I messed w/the pressure and I think I fubar'd it where there's no kickdown anymore when I romp on it.
1970 280SL auto, AC - aka "Edelweiss"

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Any W113 mechanics/experts in the NW (Seattle/Tacoma) area?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022, 17:08:30 »
I believe this question has been asked and answered before...

But give our member CraigD a shout. He was once a Pagoda owner and pretty active but I believe he sold his Pagoda some years ago. He's still an associate member and moved from Bellevue to Lake Tapps. He should be able to point you in the right direction. We have a number of members in the Greater Seattle area (more if you spread down to Tacoma) so you should have others to find and speak with...

I should also say that joining as a full member provides many benefits and is just a paltry $30/year and provides access to the tech manual.  :)
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

teahead

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, WA, Des Moines
  • aka "Rob"
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2022, 17:13:45 »
THanks.

Yes, I used the tech manual and again, spent hours and hours fiddling with everything to stop this off-the-line hesitation issue (and kickdown issue).
1970 280SL auto, AC - aka "Edelweiss"

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2022, 14:43:50 »
Full throttle kickdown is electric.  adjusting control pressure shouldn't effect it.  If the hesitation could be transmission slipping it sounds like your three position solenoid is stuck in the lowest pressure position.  Plenty has been written on the 3 position solenoid and the details escape me but one position drops the pressure in gear at idle for a smoother idle, the second is normal operation and the third is kickdown pressure.  First thing I would do is peel up the carpet on the passenger side of the tunnel and remove the ovalish cover.  Verify that the linkage isn't stuck then search here for the details of the electrical operation.