Author Topic: Engine Oil?  (Read 4940 times)

dakman29

• Senior
  • USA, WA, Spokane
Re: Engine Oil?
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2020, 23:10:26 »
I’ve used Kendall Non-synthetic 20-50 exclusively. A little harder to find but very satisfied with the product.

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Rancho Santa Fe
    • Mrfatboy
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2020, 00:54:17 »
Kendall GT 1 20-50 is also a good oil for our cars. Recommended by Metric Motors. Harder to find in our area.
1969 280sl (Aug 1968 build)
Signal Red
4 Speed

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2020, 16:17:38 »
With all the debate about zinc content for vintage cars, I ran across this (6 year old) YouTube video that might be of interest. Jay Leno's mechanic uses Archoil products. Apparently the oil additive uses boron which has superior properties to zinc? Anyone have any experience with it? I know there are going to be opinions! ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3ir3bg0ESU

(Note a Jay Leno YouTube video is how we learned about the Element fire extinguisher)
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold
(98 from the end of production)
DB180 Silver Gray Metallic
Black MB Tex

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2020, 00:48:07 »
For anyone suffering from insomnia, I ran across this massive report about Motor Oil Engineering Test Data: https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

From the blog:
"The motor oil wear protection test data included in this Blog, is from Engineering performance testing of many different motor oils, which shows how they compare relative to each other. The focus is on the motor oils themselves. Therefore, the resulting comparison data applies to ANY engine that uses the oils included here, no matter if the engine is used for racing, daily driving, grocery getting, watercraft, or any other activity.

"I operate this Blog in my spare time when I get the chance. I simply share my Engineering Test Data as a courtesy to other Gear Heads. I do not express an “opinion” about motor oil like most everyone else on the Internet does. I do not express a “theory” about motor oil like most everyone else on the Internet does. I merely post the FACTS that the Science of Physics and Chemistry proves to me. And my test data EXACTLY MATCHES real world experience. A number of examples are provided below in this Blog."
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold
(98 from the end of production)
DB180 Silver Gray Metallic
Black MB Tex

Pinder

• Gold
  • USA, NJ, Edison
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2020, 01:14:23 »
Advanced auto has 20w 50 Castrol GTX. I just got some today.
1970 280 SL Light Ivory DB 670. 4 Speed manual shift no AC Limited Slip Diff.