Author Topic: Speedometer KM / EUR  (Read 3388 times)

Fred Verboon

Speedometer KM / EUR
« on: October 05, 2020, 22:33:04 »
Hi all,

I am looking for a speedometer. The current one appears not to be a Pagode because it only goed to 210KM/h  and displays 10% less speed...  If somebody has one, please contact me

Very interested in a decent one..

Thanks! Fred
The Netherlands
Fredverboon@gmail.com

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
Re: Speedometer KM / EUR
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 22:46:56 »
You may want to consider changing just the face plate. Check out SLS store. A bit of precise work, but can be done. Definitely costs less.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Fred Verboon

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 21:51:01 »
Thanks for the tip! Highly appreciated!

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 12:13:39 »
I am a little curious about that advice. If the speedometer is not correct, the changing of the face plate may not provide accurate reading. The number alignment will not match the needle position for correct indication.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 12:33:55 »
It would only address the 'mph vs kph' issue, indeed not the 10% too low one. That I have as well, after swapping out my differential to a lower-geared (3.69 vs 4.08) one. For that, I understand there are different little gears available, for the mechanicals inside the speedometer, and a specialized shop could swap them out.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Pawel66

• Platinum
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2020, 13:02:01 »
Changing of the face plate will not provide accurate reading unless inaccuracy is there because current dial is not from this speedo unit.

But the face plate (or dial) is much cheaper than the whole unit if you want to make it look like a Pagoda one with 220km/h. And when the unit is sent for repair, the face plate can be changed.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 13:08:46 by Pawel66 »
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Fred Verboon

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2020, 14:44:30 »
Thanks for all advice. As far as I can tell, the scale of my Speedo (which is actually a W111 speedometer) is not the same as the one from a Pagode. 210 vs 220 KM, so it would solve about 4% of the 10% difference.
However, I have looked on the whole internet and nobody seems to have one for sale. So if somebody has one, even broken, I would be very happy to use it..

450sl

• Silver
  • Netherlands, Gelderland, zelhem
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2020, 15:22:43 »
Hi Fred, pm for you.

Pawel66

• Platinum
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2020, 22:49:09 »
Not sure if you are deciding to look for dial or the speedo... Dial is here: https://www.sls-hh-shop.de/main/en/mercedes-230-280sl-w113-/54-electrical-equipment-at-body/54-a-instruments/speedo-dial-face-km-h-as-illustrated-p-5603

Overhaul service is there as well, I did not use it though, cannot recommend.
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

pagoden

• Senior
  • USA, MD, Silver Spring
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2020, 23:18:23 »
I swapped from 4.08 to 3.46; that's 15%.  In researching for this I began to see that M-B set it up that way.  That is, the diff ratios differ in 5% increments.  [20% down from 4.08 = the popular 3.27.]. Correcting for this seems now a nearly lost art but simple for those who still practice it.  You need to connect with a speedometer repair shop with some history, and a shop like that will have serviced taxis and trucks for years past.  One of the common services is the correction of speedometers to 100% accuracy, typically by inserting a little gearbox into the drive cable from the transmission up to the speedometer.  They have a myriad of choices in the form of small gears to fit in and accomplish needed adjustments.

Joe A. has had (and may have re-located) a probably museum-worthy example of one of these setups........of course.   ;o)

I think the frequency of correcting for speedo accuracy by altering speedo innards is essentially zero.

M-B speedos are apparently dead accurate.  [Must keep in mind that changes to tire specs figure into it also.]  I verified accuracy in my car using sat-nav ("Garmin") and Interstate mile-markers to where I was confident in my speedo's performance, and then when talking to the shop didn't need for either party to get into the complexities of calculating where we needed to be with all the data:  I knew that my "old" error was vanishingly near zero and that I had changed my diff ratio by 15%, so needed them to provide a 15% correction to compensate.  Simple as that.

They then selected the proper little gears to go into the little gearbox to accomplish the 15% compensatory adjustment, full stop.

I use the existing stock strap of soft steel and clip to support the cable just below the gearbox, as it was placed at its location along the drive cable with that in mind -- that location is roughly adjacent to the engine/tranny joining.  A certain amount of 'country windage' was involved; you could probably measure along your cable and get it quite close to optimum, but there is ample space in that area overall, so the fine detail of location is more concerned with getting that support bracket to attach just under the new, little g-box (seemed the best idea to me, at least).  This can and should be done beforehand, and then the installation work done using a nice new cable assembly of good quality.  I dimly remember that there are two cables of different lengths available for our application -- apologies that I can't advise on this; it was some years back.  I can offer that for g-box placement the relevant distance is measured from the drive end (at the tranny) so that regardless the cable used, your bracket will fit up.

1968/69 280SL, just+100k mi, manual 4, 3.46, both tops, 717/904

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2020, 12:28:54 »
By law, speedometers in German vehicles are not "dead accurate". In order to avoid court arguments about speeding tickets/fines, the German authorities require that speedos MUST NOT show less than actual speed. In order to achieve this, the instrument manufacturers calibrate their products to show on the "fast' side. Speedometers for official vehicles where indication matters, e.g.: Police and Taxi are being certified and have to be within 4% accuracy. That "secret" was revealed to me by a friend who worked for VDO.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

Fred Verboon

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2020, 00:02:37 »
Thanks for all the comments
I just bought a correct speedo and sent it for repairs..