Author Topic: Getting it Right  (Read 2978 times)

John Betsch - "SADIE"

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Silver
  • USA, NY, SOUTHOLD
Getting it Right
« on: July 22, 2021, 20:32:03 »
I want to replace all the cooling hoses and belts on a 1965 230sl.  I wish it to look correct.  Can someone tell me if M-B supplied hosing and belts had/have a "M-B" logo or indication of M-B mfg on them

JB
JB; 1965 German market SL, Rot Met 571, Summary Code 213 Interior

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Getting it Right
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 21:19:40 »
John,

If you absolutely want the most original you can find, buy them all from the Classic Center. If they have the little star on them, great. If not, oh well--you surely don't want to go searching around the world for NOS of rubber goods.

Alternatively a good solid German replacement, such as Continental for belts.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Vander

• Silver
  • USA, OH, Columbus
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 22:55:08 »
It is my experience they typically are branded MB and have a part # showing its a genuine part. Belts typically have MB branding and sometimes continental branding on them as well.
1969 280SL

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2021, 11:56:02 »
Having just done this for my restoration I can say that yes the Mercedes star is printed on the hoses as well as the belts which also carry the Continental logo.  Some of the hose sections are very short and the logos far apart so I was careful to cut and install any straight hose with the logo visible and pointing up.  As for those odd hoses where an aftermarket hose may be more correct like the oil cooler hose where you can reuse the original yellow aluminum ends I mounted the hose with the logo down so it didn't show.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 12:42:20 by Shvegel »