Author Topic: wind deflector and a 3thd seat  (Read 1567 times)

jan lauwers

• Senior
  • Belgium, Antwerpen, Geel
wind deflector and a 3thd seat
« on: August 13, 2020, 21:43:24 »
Hi Guys,

I am lucky (I think) to have a 3thd (kinder)seat in my car. Recently, I bought a wind deflector and after a while, I noticed that the back of the 3thd seat is in fact just a little too high with the screen. It  pushes the wind deflector upwards, preventing it's hook on the passenger side of the car, to rest on the rim of the softtop box, like it is supposed to be.
I am in the middle of a full restoration. I have asked my upholstery guy, if he can lower the back of the 3thd seat some 2cm. He said it's no big deal (all wood and leather)... but now I am wondering: is the right way to tackle this problem? Is there any other solution that I should consider? 

Thanks guys,

Jan
Jan Lauwers, Geel, Belgium 

White 280 SL 1969

wayne R

Re: wind deflector and a 3thd seat
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 23:37:14 »
Jan ,ill send a couple of photos to help you,
on here somewear i did a forum on a home made deflector about 6 months ago
and my rear seat  clears the wind deflector,-----will try send photos soon,    Wayne

wayne R

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 00:04:01 »
Jan found it --in general  discussion---Home made wind deflector----by Wayne R---april 15th.
Those photos may not help you  that well,so here is  3 more,and i did not touch my kinder seat,
it was mounted that way from new,and it clears my deflector by about 1/2 inch.
You could quite easy remove a little from the lower  bottom of your kinder seat  back, and refit vinly to suit.
There is only one mounting bolt to the back of kinder seat through the metal recess,and thats easy to re position.

jan lauwers

• Senior
  • Belgium, Antwerpen, Geel
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 08:10:10 »
Hi Wayne,

I've read your posts about your homemade screen with interest. Well done, looks neat.
So, in fact you confirm that it is Ok to lower the back of the kinder seat, so I will do that.

Thanks for your help,

Jan
Jan Lauwers, Geel, Belgium 

White 280 SL 1969

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 09:13:36 »
I have the MB wind deflector - a pricey item if ever there was one - but no issues for me with the kinder seat (or the main seats, both of which tend to sit back on their runners as I am quite tall (Not Martijn tall but...)
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2020, 16:39:06 »
When I want the wind deflector, it takes about 1 minute to remove the nylon nut, remove the kinder seat backrest and add the wind deflector.  When I want the kinder seat, it takes about 1 minute  to remove the wind deflector and add the kinder seat backrest.  Having them both at the same time is not very important for me.  Anyway, there's no room for the lower panel of the wind deflector and a human in the kinder seat simultaneously.  For long trips (the kinder seat is illegal anyway) I have the parcel shelves so I can remove the kinder seat (30 seconds), add the parcel shelves (1 minute) and replace the wind deflector (30 seconds) to hide anything stored on the parcel shelves and protect my wife's hair.
I'm now happy.  Life is good and will be better when Covid-19 is gone.
Tom Kizer.
Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)