Author Topic: 280SL journey back  (Read 1171 times)

zraphael

• Junior Level
  • USA, FL, Coral gables
280SL journey back
« on: August 16, 2020, 18:51:14 »
Hi
I am new too the forum. I bought a 1970- 280 SL in 2005 .Rarely drove it. Last time it was on my wedding day in dec 2008. Then I parked it covered it lost the key and got busy with wife,  life and later children  :'( :'( :'( . Bought few other cars since then but always felt guilty to have that special car sitting like this never even turned on in the last 12 years. I finally found a good local mechanic . He ordered the keys.  last week we got it out of the garage and send it to the shop. I passed by yesterday and I was able to hear the engine for the 1st time in so many years. It's alive what an amazing feeling !! engine seem to have awaken from its long hybernation and doing fine . I am super excited and want to get the car right .Seems it needs few parts but nothing major. So far seems we would need a water pump, fuel pump (acting up still trying to get it fixed) brake pads, rotors, calipers ,  some of the headlights lenses are broken. Needed also front grill screens that I found original ones on eBay and bought them   I am pretty sure this has been covered before but is there a place besides ebay or the known online places to find parts for it that anyone can recommend? 
thanks!

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
Re: 280SL journey back
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 19:00:38 »
Congrats
In the Tech Manual at the top of the page is a wealth of info, including links to suppliers of pretty much anythng that's not unobtanium. And even then...
If you have a specific want, post in the want to buy section and see what comes up. People have all sorts of stuff hidden in boxes...
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather