Author Topic: Soft top frame problem  (Read 2176 times)

chumps

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Santa Rosa Valley
Soft top frame problem
« on: August 25, 2020, 15:53:20 »
I removed my soft top from my 71 280 SL with the intention of repairing the broken spring connection in the folding mechanism. After getting it off the car I realized it was out of the range of my abilities, so I was going to put it back on sense it worked OK with one spring. I had opened the top up out of the car. Now I can't get it to fold back to the position it was in when I took it off (folded in a vertical position). One side wants to fold nicely and the other reaches a point and won't fold any farther with the window section up, I've tried with window section in every position possible. I can get it to lay down 'near' the position that is in when it is stored in the car, but the sides do not lay evenly, one side lays down closer to flat than the other - about 2" difference. That can't be right because the compartment cover would not close if the top was in the car lying like that. When the top is unfolded on the floor it looks correct. Is there anybody in the Southern California area that is familiar with the Pagoda top? Thank for any help,Terry

badali

• Platinum
  • USA, Pa, Butler
  • 1966 230SL
Re: Soft top frame problem
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 16:16:06 »
Make sure both feet are in the same position.  If you have to bolt it to a piece of wood to hold them steady.
Brad

1961 220 Sb
1966 230 SL
2019 E 450 4 Matic
2022 GLC 300 4 Matic

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Rancho Santa Fe
    • Mrfatboy
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 16:38:44 »
My top has sort of the same issue. The driver’s side frame “little arm” that connects the the big spring snapped off. I had it rewelded.

When I go to fold it, i fold the back bow up vertically so it snaps in place first. Now, when I start the process to fold down into the compartment the driver’s side corner must slightly be ahead or tucked sooner than the left for it to fit completely in the compartment.

If I don’t do this the driver’s side is about 1” higher the the lid will not shut. I have tried to figure out what is going on to no avail. I can’t see any binding rubber,  fabric, or frame but it has to be something.

I only figured out how it liked to go in by chance when I had a fellow member come over to take a look. We each took a side and lowered it in correctly the first time. Wait. What did we do differently?🤔🤔 As I said, we couldn’t see anything but we learned what this particular soft top wants and moved on.
1969 280sl (Aug 1968 build)
Signal Red
4 Speed

chumps

• Senior
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 15:01:39 »
Brad - I did bolt the feet to 2 lengths of wood. The feet do sit in the same position, but not both exactly flush to the wood. One side sits at a slight angle from flat. I can force it down with the mounting bolt, but that can't be right.

Mrfatboy - You said you had the broken piece welded back in place. Was the welder able to weld it in place without takinf the mechanism apart and the canvas top on the frame? Also, when my top is lying in the stored position the bad side is at least 2" higher. I am some what of a decent home garage mechanic, but I can not see anything that would cause the problem I am having.

A year or so ago I saw what I thing was a promo video  on this site for the Pagoda of 2 men raising and lower the soft top on a new car. I can't find it now in my searches. It might give me some help in figuring out what the positions of the top are supposed to be during raising and lowering. They seemed to be doing so effortlessly. Any help appreciated
. Chumps   

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Rancho Santa Fe
    • Mrfatboy
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2020, 17:03:20 »
I was replacing the soft top anyway so I brought only the naked frame to the welder. He did not have to take it apart. Just welded the piece in place.

I placed the template of the piece in tech manual as well as a template so check the one particular frame angle that I found out was bent. You can use it to test yours and maybe find the problem.

I did a post about it with pictures last year.
1969 280sl (Aug 1968 build)
Signal Red
4 Speed

TJMart

• Silver
  • USA, NC, Matthews
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2020, 19:41:51 »
Was this the link to the YouTube video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcvG2HfMat4&t=99s
Tony
1970 280SL, 4 Speed

chumps

• Senior
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2020, 23:43:36 »
Mrfatboy - Thank you for your reply. I think I will go by a couple of welding shops in the area to see what they can do. I don't want to take any changes damaging the Ragtop.

Thank you Tony. That is the video I was looking for.

I'm still looking for somebody in Southern California area that has worked with these tops. There was someone mentioned on this forum that could repair frames to almost new condition, expensive (including shipping) but last resort if I can't figure out what the problem is. But I can't find the thread that mentioned him. Ant help? Thanks

Chumps 

Vander

• Silver
  • USA, OH, Columbus
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2020, 23:46:10 »
It's Gernold at SL Tech in Maine.
1969 280SL

chumps

• Senior
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2020, 00:03:08 »
Thank you Vander.

Chumps

doitwright

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Willowbrook
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2020, 03:20:03 »
BlackForestLLC.com in Milwaukee also restores soft tops. They have a photo series on their site showing their process. You will need a Flash Plugin to view these photos.
Frank Koronkiewicz
Willowbrook, Illinois

1970 280SL Originally Light Ivory - Now Anthracite Gray Metallic

chumps

• Senior
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2020, 12:44:03 »
Thank you doitwright. I saw the thread earlier about BlackforestLLC. I'm having trouble downloading Flash Play to my computer. I'm a marginal mechanic, but when it comes to computers I have no clue. I have a friend coming over to help with that. I'm looking forward to seeing that video. Chumps

doitwright

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Willowbrook
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2020, 04:55:04 »
Black Forest can service any component on any SL including the 300 but using Flash on a website is ancient tech. Hopefully they revamp their site by the end of the year since Adobe will no longer support Flash after this year. If you are on a Mac you may already be SOL. A Windows PC should give you the option to download the required plugin. Their site includes several photo series of special restoration projects related to the W113 but you need Flash to view.
Frank Koronkiewicz
Willowbrook, Illinois

1970 280SL Originally Light Ivory - Now Anthracite Gray Metallic

chumps

• Senior
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2020, 13:30:47 »
Can a skin be taken off of a damaged frame and then reinstall on the same repaired frame. My skin is in excellent shape but the frame needs repair. Thanks for your comments. Chumps