Author Topic: Soft top closing  (Read 1362 times)

Royzeboyze

Soft top closing
« on: June 05, 2020, 20:46:52 »
Hi All,
Just rejoined, after a break of a couple of years.
Fitted a brand new soft top two years ago. Before fitting the soft top I fixed the hood frame so that it worked perfectly, measuring the frame webbing to line up with the seams in the new hood. It folded down perfectly, being a 230 SL  I fitted the wires that fit in the hood frame. The new hood was then fitted, with all new rubbers etc. All this took about three months on and off. To get it to latch up the back was locked down first, then the front latched. The hood was floppy in the middle, the back bow was forced up but it was impossible to push right back and was forced with a block of wood and a hammer. The hood looked beautiful with not a crease, a really good job. All the bows were not stuck down and left.
The car was left for 18 months with the hood in this position, until this May. I then unlocked the rear latch and it came up about half an inch. I thought I had cracked it, but it was impossible to lock it down again, moved the front latches half way, still no joy, slammed the back down. Moved the back bow forward and then pushed it back, with a struggle, o'joy it went back with a bit of force. I still haven't stuck any of the hood bows to the hood yet. Finally I slackened all the front latches with the screws and put a screwdriver as packing on the drivers side. I am going to make some shims up and take the front screws out and only have two screws holding the latches, I shall plug the screw holes with rubber grommets. Hopefully this should make it easier. The hood by the way is the best German made sonterland in beige, you would think they would make them about a quarter inch bigger. When I have finished making the packing for the front latches, I will then try and see if it is easier, if it is I will stick the bows to the hood.
I have looked at all the comments from the last forum and tried all of the suggestions with no avail.
Regards to all,
Royzeboyze

lowpad

• Senior
  • USA, CT, New Preston
Re: Soft top closing
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 01:07:15 »
Oy, sounds very frustrating.  I'm sure you've already tried this, but, if not, have you left your car out in the sun for a few hours?  It doesn't make a huge difference, but I find my top easier to close when I've left it out in the sun for a bit.
1966 230SL (6/66 build)
French export
4-speed manual
158 Exterior / 040 Hardtop
2001 SLK230
1996 Porsche 993
1991 Acura NSX