Author Topic: Painting a W113, the hardest parts to remove for prep  (Read 1875 times)

prefervintage

• Junior Level
  • USA, CT, Cheshire
  • '69 280SL,'70 280SE,'82 300D,'85 Rolls,'66 Mustang
Painting a W113, the hardest parts to remove for prep
« on: June 19, 2020, 02:15:44 »
Hello all...I've been ordering parts to get ready for a full repaint of my 280SL...new windshield, windshield chrome, miscellaneous chrome...but I'm stuck on the door trim on the outside that holds felt next to the window...it looks like to get at the mounting bolts, I have to remove the window...is that correct? My windows rattle and I was planning to redo the guides after I get the car back because the job of resetting door windows sounds like a horror show, taking up to 4 hours per door or something like that. I also cant see how to remove the chrome trim on the air intake in front of the windshield. One final question...will a regular windshield installer be able to install a windshield on these cars? The seal looks more complex than a standard car...I've heard you have to put a sealing compound on the gasket too...I bought a MB seal since most aftermarket seals never fit right. Appreciate any guidance from anyone who has had their car painted and gone through this...thanks!

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
Re: Painting a W113, the hardest parts to remove for prep
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 03:23:17 »
but I'm stuck on the door trim on the outside that holds felt next to the window...it looks like to get at the mounting bolts, I have to remove the window...is that correct?

No need to remove the window.
The chrome trim on the outside of the door, next to the felt is held onto the door by about 5 barbed clips.  These clips grab onto a lip on the door and hold the chrome trim in place.  The same clip also holds the outside felt in place.   To remove the chrome, you would very carefully pry the chrome up. I used a flat 50mm wide paint scraper in order not to damage the aluminum door.  Since I was repainting the car, I did not worry about protecting the paint but did not want to damage the metal. 

The chrome may pull off of the clips or the clips may pull off of the door along with the felt.  Either way way it will work.  New clips are available if you damage them. 

if you are putting new whiskers/felt, you can pull the felt up/off and you will see the clips.  Then you can pry the clips and it will pull the chrome up.   This is another way to do it.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 03:31:59 by kampala »
250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Aslam

Peter

• Silver
  • Netherlands, North Brabant, Helmond
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 08:33:38 »
1) Hello all...I've been ordering parts to get ready for a full repaint of my 280SL...new windshield, windshield chrome, miscellaneous chrome..

2) I also cant see how to remove the chrome trim on the air intake in front of the windshield.

3) One final question...will a regular windshield installer be able to install a windshield on these cars? The seal looks more complex than a standard car...I've heard you have to put a sealing compound on the gasket too...I bought a MB seal since most aftermarket seals never fit right.

1) see clips below
2) Far as I remember it is clamped and by gently turning, starting at the left and right side, it comes off.
3) You need to ask, I looked for a company which had experience with classic cars.
    It is very good to buy all seals original, the non-originals do not fit, and my windshield installer only wanted
    to work with original parts.
    It took him less than 45 minutes to build the windshield!

Desertpagoda

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • USA, AZ, Tucson
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2020, 22:18:40 »
I find the optional chrome strips (ski/luggage related) on some hartops to be the worst
kb