Author Topic: M129.980 Motor Mount Replacement  (Read 2027 times)

Todd

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • USA, SoCal
M129.980 Motor Mount Replacement
« on: August 20, 2022, 02:13:55 »
This year marks 30yrs of ownership.  I replaced these mounts when I was a tech for the local VW/MBZ dealer back in the mid-90's, but it was time to do them again.  I used the correct red-dot painted mount on the right side (180 223 10 12) and the plain mount (no red dot) on the left side (180 223 09 12).  I think the update is probably to use two red-dot mounts, for better durability, as that mount is made with harder rubber.  I found a deal on an OEM kit that I couldn't pass up.  I forgot to order rubber bushings for the new engine vibration damper shock(000 240 07 48), so I'll replace that when they arrive in a few days.  A new transmission mount (120 223 04 12) is also on its way.

Removing the battery, and the fuel filter cup and the long bolt that holds it in place, allowed sufficient room to access the fasteners for the left mount.  I have a 36" 3/8th extension and a Snap-On diamond head shaped 3/8th adapter that allows a socket or an allen bit to swivel slightly.  This allows the socket wrench to be up above the engine, where there's room to spin it.  A Snap-On 3/8th drive battery powered ratchet also came in handy, once I had the fasteners hand threaded in a few turns to confirm they weren't cross-threaded.  Thread chasing, and copper anti-seize also helped things come apart (from job in '96ish), and go back together smoothly.  The forward allen bolt on the left side required an allen key, because it was under the engine mount arm, but otherwise, all the fasteners were easily accessed.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 03:01:51 by Todd »
Todd

Todd

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • USA, SoCal
Re: M129.980 Motor Mount Replacement
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2022, 18:45:41 »
Replaced the engine vibration damper shock, it's 4 rubber bushings, and the transmission mount.  The shock had completely failed, and the trans mount was crushed flat, although it regained a little shape once unloaded.
Todd