Author Topic: Paul Bracq Nomination to the AHOF (Automotive Hall of Fame)  (Read 1443 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Hello full and associate members alike:

Back in 2006, with the approval of the MBCA (Mercedes-Benz Club of America) our local MBCA section in Michigan nominated Paul Bracq to the AHOF. The AHOF, located in Dearborn, MI, celebrates the people behind the automotive industry. Learn more about their mission here: https://www.automotivehalloffame.org/about-us/

I spent quite a bit of time putting together the 39 page nomination, and ensuring that all the criteria used in selection were met.

Unfortunately, his nomination was not passed through to inductee status, a great oversight in my opinion. If you go to the website of the AHOF, and look at the inductees, you'll see plenty of worthy names you know: Gottlieb Daimler, Karl Benz, Bertha Benz, Bruno Sacco, Bela Barenyi, Robert Bosch, Walter P. Chrysler, Rudolf Diesel, Pinin Farina, Nuccio Bertone, and so many more. There are also the obscure; Charles Bott, Richard Caleal, Joseph Degnan and more. Worthy of course, but I bet few know of their accomplishments.

I attended the induction ceremony of Bruno Sacco, and even hosted him at a club event. I attended the induction ceremony of Bertha Benz. Our local MBCA club has helped out the AHOF in many ways, from holding events there to locating cars as necessary. My own Pagoda spent two winters there, 2017-2018, and 2018-2019, on display in their Styling Gallery.

Just before I moved from MI to NC, I figured I'd try once more to revive the nomination of Paul Bracq, so I made a plea to the new President. I was informed yesterday that he's under serious consideration now...after all these years!

I would like the committee that reviews these things to know exactly how a large group of us feel about Bracq's stylings. Many of our members have sought him out at Euro events of one kind or another, others have his signature on the inside of their glovebox. So, if you think he is worthy of this accolade of being in the Hall of Fame, PLEASE write a letter--doesn't have to be long--in support and send it here:

Induction and Awards Committee
Automotive Hall of Fame
21400 Oakwood Blvd.
Dearborn, MI  48124-4078

Any member here interested in getting a copy of this nomination, just drop me a PM and I'll email it to you; it is too large to post here. I have attached, for those so interested a copy of an article I wrote on Paul Bracq back in 2011 that was published in The Star magazine. If you are only marginally familiar with Bracq, this should fill in some blanks in your understanding.

You love your car, and admire its beauty all the time...so let's all try very hard to get Paul Bracq the recognition he deserves.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid