Author Topic: Side marker help / question  (Read 1298 times)

dldubois

• Silver
  • USA, FL, Pembroke Pines
Side marker help / question
« on: March 19, 2020, 01:16:21 »
I lost a side marker on the rear of my car.  (I've owned for years) and my family is the second owner and I stripped to metal in 2005.  It looks like I have two different types of rear side markers.   Would the dealer have done that?   The replacement matches the passenger rear so do I drill holes in the car to attach (and then get my shop to fill).    Interested in thoughts before I drill some holes in the drivers side rear quarter.

1. marker I lost
2. hole pattern on one I lost
3. passenger marker
4. passenger marker holes.... mmm

Thanks,

found a new side marker matching the passenger rear in Canada for $100.

Dana DuBois
1969 280sl
Pembroke Pines, FL

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
Re: Side marker help / question
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 23:02:14 »
Hello Dana,

Although I am by far no expert here...
it makes me think that for this type of side markers/reflectors without illumination,
only two holes (as on your passenger side) should be sufficient for the two scews necessary.

The third hole does not make sense to me. Maybe that one was accidentally drilled 15 years ago after respraying of your car?
But that one is covered by the side marker reflector anyway, isn't it?
At least that's what your first pic (from top)  suggests...

IMHO...

Achim
Achim
(Germany)

beachbear

• Regular
  • USA, HI, Kailua
Re: Side marker help / question
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 19:33:05 »
Recently, I replaced one that had been lost too. After purchasing two that looked correct on eBay I found that there must have been a design change in '69. What was the same was a drain channel and a nib on the rubber seal. This nib fit into that third hole which doesn't use a screw. If your seal has that nib it probably won't fit flush to the fender. In fact, the nib has a neck that is captured by the fender when pressed through the hole.

What was different was the way the rubber seal attached to the lens and how the marker mounted into the fender. Your rubber seal is like the ones that my 280 uses. The ones sold as replacements seem to be of a later design.
David White
'69 280sl automatic, 3rd owner since '82