Author Topic: Wiring W111 280SE Air Conditioner  (Read 2868 times)

gcw206

• Regular
  • USA, WA, Seattle
Wiring W111 280SE Air Conditioner
« on: March 12, 2020, 21:25:41 »
Hello,
My 1969 280SE W111 came with an under mounted dash A/C Unit.  When I removed the unit to do some work, I noticed that most of the wires were not hooked up.  I have no idea if this is a good unit or not, but I want to find out, and then go from there.  The wires in question are:
1.  1 Black from the firewall mounted auxiliary 2 gang switched fuse box (i assume that this is the switched hot to the unit). 
2.  2 each Green that come from the unit, and then go back into the unit (uncut);
3.  1 each Red that comes from the unit;
4.  1 each Black that comes from the unit;
5.  1 each Black that comes from the fan;
6.  1 each Red that comes from the fan;
7.  1 each Blue that runs from the unit to the compressor.
The fan runs strong, but I am not sure about the switches, hoses, etc.
Can anybody tell me how to put this back together?
Thanks,  Galen

Aaron h

Re: Wiring W111 280SE Air Conditioner
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 10:12:46 »
Do you have a BEHR unit or a Kuhlmeister/FrigiKing/ThermoKing unit?  If you have a BEHR unit, then which of the two versions do you have?  The wiring is very different between the three versions.  Below are pictures of what your W111 could have had.  If you have some aftermarket unit then you'll have to wing it. 

gcw206

• Regular
  • USA, WA, Seattle
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 11:52:34 »
Hello,
Here is a photo of the unit.

gcw206

• Regular
  • USA, WA, Seattle
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 12:02:17 »
I can only post a few at a time; here are some more.
GCW

gcw206

• Regular
  • USA, WA, Seattle
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 12:06:53 »
For some reason, this site won't take any more photos.
GCW

Aaron h

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 15:10:49 »
Ok,  so you have a Kuhlmeister.  Notice is says "Magna-Temp" on the front.  That's a Kuhlmeister/ThermoKing/FrigiKing unit made in the USA that was dealer installed.  I don't have the schematic for the American unit, but I'm certain that one exists.  I do remember that there are three wires that go to the blower motor, and there was originally a three pronged plug between the blower motor and the unit itself.  One wire goes from the temperature switch to the compressor, and I believe the red one goes to the fuse box for power supply.  Black would be ground, but if I remember correctly the unit self grounded through the chassis when installed, but the blower motor did require a ground wire, which was integrated into the wire harness going to it.