Author Topic: how to rebuild mismatched door cylinders to work with one key  (Read 1446 times)

leonard

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, SANTA ROSA
Hello
I have a car with 2 mismatched door cylinders each with a key. I want to take the non-original apart and rebuild it to work with the original door cylinder key. I have plenty of spare cylinders and tumblers. Can this be done? Is the key operation determined by the tumbler design (size) or are the key cylinders bored so that once a tumbler is installed the depth of the bore determines the position of tumbler to key?
thanks
Leonard

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
Re: how to rebuild mismatched door cylinders to work with one key
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2020, 21:06:42 »
I had it done by local locksmith.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

mnahon

• Silver
  • Canada, QC, Montreal
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 00:13:37 »
You can do it yourself, it's not that hard, assuming that both cylinders use the same key type. So let's say you have lock A and lock B and you want them to both work with key A. First thing is does key A fit into lock B and go all the way in?

If so, you can take lock A apart and figure out the wafer sizes in each position of the tumbler. They're usually marked with a letter which may be worn off. You can also measure them. Once you know what wafer goes in which position, you can take apart  lock B. You need to put the same size wafers in the same positions as in A. You may need to salvage wafers from your spare cylinders.

This thread will help. See replies 10-13 with pictures
https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=19891

See also
https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=18876

Meyer Nahon
Montreal, Canada
1968 MB 280SL Auto Euro LHD Silver
2021 Tesla Model 3

leonard

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, SANTA ROSA
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2020, 01:16:16 »
Mnahan
thank you! That was the answer I was looking for. I have done it years ago but wasn't sure and didn't want to risk taking apart two perfectly good door handles. I have calipers and mics to do the measuring and a small bag of tumblers.
thank you
Leonard