Author Topic: Exhaust Install  (Read 1082 times)

Harry

• Gold
  • USA, TN, Knoxville
Exhaust Install
« on: January 12, 2020, 03:25:08 »
When I was preparing to pull the engine from my 230SL, I was not able to remove the exhaust (all one weldment) until the engine was out.  I have a new section that connects to the manifold.  I'll need to cut the old exhaust to remove the old section and weld the new section in, which I would like to do after the engine is installed.  I'll want to trial fit, tack weld, remove from the car, full weld then install.

But based on the uninstall, I'm not sure I can snake the one piece system (new section installed) back into place.  This may be due to the fact that the car is on stands under the front so there isn't much room to do that.  If it were up higher, front and rear, it might be possible.

What is the forum experience?

(BTW - the system before didn't line up real well with the heat shields and hangers.)

Harry
Harry Bailey
Knoxville, TN
1966 230SL
Automatic

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: Exhaust Install
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 18:26:34 »
You can install the front pipes at the manifold by themselves temporarily, leave the intake manifold off for now. Fit-up and hang the rest of the system, also bolt up the front pipes to the manifolds  then tack weld everything after everything is exactly where you want it. I use plenty of grease on the connection of the front pipes and manifold to make sure everything slides together and seats nicely ( don't forget the metal o-ring crush seals). Unbolt the manifolds from the head and drop the whole tack-welded system as far as possible, then finish the welds. It is difficult, but you will have some room. Otherwise a lift is required to remove the whole system. You can also sneak the one-piece exhaust system out by lifting only the right side of the car about 45 degrees (starter must be off). It takes an experienced tech. 6 to 8 hours of labor to install a complete W113 system completely welded with all the correct hangers, shields and clearances. Plan on spending a lot more time if it is your first time around.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback