Author Topic: Two 280SL's for sale at the Mecum Florida auction  (Read 2018 times)

Firechief-fla

Two 280SL's for sale at the Mecum Florida auction
« on: January 07, 2020, 19:17:17 »
Hi There. New member here, reporting from the trenches. I went to Mecum's Kissimmee auction last weekend and saw two Pagodas that are scheduled to go off this week. I have been on the search for a Pagoda for a little while, and I am no expert, but am learning. I went through the two cars. The black one has a high quality non original color respray. The engine compartment and interior looked tidy. The headlight notches were visible as were the fender welds, but I was advised by a very knowledgeable source who I sent pictures to, that the fender welds looked faked. 

The other was a silver gray, original color, but quite tired looking. no notches, no welds and some bondo evident.  messy engine compartment with surface rust, stains on the radiator core and electrical tape on relay connectors. I was able to start this one and it did start right up and sounded good (but I'm no mechanic). Interior was tired by complete.

Both cars had the hardtops on so I could not see the condition of the convertible tops.

I took a bunch of pictures of both. If anyone is interested in seeing them, let me know.

Ariel Poplack
Firechief-fla
Fort Lauderdale, FL