Author Topic: New and old style window crank handles  (Read 2552 times)

FresnoBob

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Fresno
New and old style window crank handles
« on: December 05, 2019, 00:48:02 »
I installed a new "280 style" window regulator as the old style are no longer available.  I bought new handles and refurbished pads, but I can't seem to install the new handle with the old chrome eccentric trim ring installed.  The thickness is too much for the handle to slide sufficiently onto the knurled pin.  Has anyone faced this challenge before? 

I have attached pictures of the eccentric trim ring, the handle installed without the ring (pretty ugly indentation in the leather door panel) and also the new handle trying to be installed on the new knurled pin with the eccentric ring in place.   
Bob Comstock
1966 230 SL Euro Auto
2017 AMG C43 Cabriolet

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
Re: New and old style window crank handles
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 02:12:35 »

Bob,

Looking on the explanatory chart on the SLS homepage surely helps to understand the differences of the window cranks.  8)

https://www.sls-hh-shop.de/main/en/72-door-72info-window-crank-handle-c-3_2344_123

Generally, you should have used the early style crank, the A110 760 0402 - the W110 type fintail window crank, not the easily available W123 style...  ???
The early ones are pretty easy to come by - used.

Well, you then need to drill a hole and a thread for the countersunk screw if you wanted to use that (proper) fintail crank.

However, I think there is another problem that adds up here.
You have clearly got the late style window lifter (= crank mechanism) A113 725 0702 (on the driver's side) because it doesn't have the M4 thread for the countersunk screw anymore but a slot for the late style window crank pad.
Please compare with your passenger side window lifter; very well possible that you still have the old one there (A113 725 0402 - right side).

Now, the old thick chrome ring (eccentric trim ring...; A113 768 0003) appears to be no longer correct for these late crank mechanisms.
I have not compared them side by side (will do this later since I have got the same problem on my restoration project like you), but it appears to me that the crank shaft to where the window crank attaches - is longer on the old style window lifter (with the threaded hole) than on the later window lifters which go with the clipped crank pad.

For the time being you could only go without the chromed escutcheon (eccentric trim ring).

Sorry for the poor news....

Achim
Achim
(Germany)

FresnoBob

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Fresno
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 17:45:19 »
Thanks Aachim for the thorough explanation.  I believe the old style pin is longer, so even drilling and tapping a hole won't solve the problem.  I certainly prefer the newer handles as they are much easier to crank, and I have a matching old style one on the passenger door.  Perhaps I can grind down half of the chrome trim ring...
Bob Comstock
1966 230 SL Euro Auto
2017 AMG C43 Cabriolet

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 16:17:51 »
Now, the old thick chrome ring (eccentric trim ring...; A113 768 0003) appears to be no longer correct for these late crank mechanisms....
Is there a "different" chrome ring that goes with the later style crank mechanism?

FWIW there are three different cranks:
1) small knob, held in by screw, like on a Fintail
2) big knob, held in by a screw, on cars with the early regulator but otherwise big knobs in the interior of the car (these are much more rare)
3) big knob, held in by a clip that is part of the crank insert pad.

The crank shown in the first two pictures is not any of these three.  It's a still later style as used in a W123. 
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 16:47:54 »
Here's the problem.  Look at the comparison of the 3 different style cranks.  Notice that the 3rd one, which is the one held in by a clip, has a much longer "neck" for lack of a better word on the back side of the crank.  This is why the regulator shaft isn't long enough to hold the clip.   

You mention the idea of grinding the chrome ring that goes between the door and the crank, and trying to make in thinner.   Instead, I think you want to grind the "neck" of the crank and make it shorter.   OR enlarge the hole in the chrome ring such that the "neck" of the crank can fit through the hole.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

mBdrvr

• Senior
  • USA, PA, Bethlehem
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 18:06:17 »
The attached Mercedes Service Information bulletin is for 107, 114/115 and 116 vehicles but may be useful.

Paul
Paul Greenblatt
'70 280 SL
'66 250 SE Cabrio
'60 190 SL

FresnoBob

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Fresno
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2019, 00:02:35 »
Thanks a bunch Scott, you really clarified the situation.  Has anyone tried grinding down the version 2 handle with the thicker base, so it matches the version 1 spacing?  I'm guessing this should enable the version 2 handle to fit on the new window regulator with the chrome trim ring in place. 
Bob Comstock
1966 230 SL Euro Auto
2017 AMG C43 Cabriolet

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2019, 00:49:41 »
Thanks a bunch Scott, you really clarified the situation.  Has anyone tried grinding down the version 2 handle with the thicker base, so it matches the version 1 spacing?  I'm guessing this should enable the version 2 handle to fit on the new window regulator with the chrome trim ring in place.
Just to clarify, it's the version 3 that has the thicker base.  Versions 1 and 2 (held in by screw) have the same thickness base.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California