Author Topic: Help needed with noise  (Read 5670 times)

FGN59

• Inactive
  • Silver
  • France, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, Marseille
Re: Help needed with noise
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2020, 19:26:29 »
I’d love to try this version of Hell, provided you can go home at the end of the day, like after a visit to an amusement park  ;D

Not to sound too chauvinistic, but I do believe the education that engineers have to follow in France is one of the best in the world (I certainly wouldn’t say it is the best, but it’s up there). What French organizations (corporations, government entities, government itself) do with this expensive resource doesn’t do justice to this education, unfortunately.

Having said that, there’s also the ingenuity of Italians, the rigor of Germans, the grit of Spaniards, the focus on whole systems of English engineers, and that’s just for the bigger European countries. If one includes all the other interesting and successful approaches to engineering from different cultures (US, Japanese, Russian, Korean, etc.), think of what we all could achieve together !

Would that work for cooking too? Not so sure  :o
François

1994 Toyota Land Cruiser SW HDJ80 4.2L diesel
sold:
1969 280SL US specs, 4-speed manual, beige-grey (726H), parchment leather
1962 Jaguar MK2 3.8L (4.2L XJ6 engine), black, tan leather interior
1968 Peugeot 204 roadster, white, black interior
1955 Massey Ferguson TEF20 diesel tractor 😁

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2020, 21:34:24 »

Having said that, there’s also the ingenuity of Italians, the rigor of Germans, the grit of Spaniards, the focus on whole systems of English engineers, and that’s just for the bigger European countries. If one includes all the other interesting and successful approaches to engineering from different cultures (US, Japanese, Russian, Korean, etc.), think of what we all could achieve together !

Would that work for cooking too? Not so sure  :o

Well, we have most of that here on the forum, I think. So what is making this bloody noise?  ;) ;)
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

FGN59

• Inactive
  • Silver
  • France, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, Marseille
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2020, 06:23:42 »
A wife/girlfriend’s earring ?

(Good engineering includes outside of the box thinking  ;D)
François

1994 Toyota Land Cruiser SW HDJ80 4.2L diesel
sold:
1969 280SL US specs, 4-speed manual, beige-grey (726H), parchment leather
1962 Jaguar MK2 3.8L (4.2L XJ6 engine), black, tan leather interior
1968 Peugeot 204 roadster, white, black interior
1955 Massey Ferguson TEF20 diesel tractor 😁

alpina

• Vendor
  • Silver
  • Spain, Asturias, Villaviciosa
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2020, 14:26:23 »
Okay, so I removed the door panel to investigate. Now I thought this could be it, I found a the bolt at the top of the door above
The door lock that holds the mechanism was loose. When the window was down I can move it side to side, window up
This movement is gone. So I tightened the bolt and all feels firm window down and up.
Every thing was still attached to the bottom of the glass.  Put door panel back, and went for a test drive.
Window down it is still ****ing there, what the hell.  Okay tried window up and nothing. What on earth is going on ?
Could it be when the window is up less air is getting into the cabin, not enough to move what ever is taunting me.
Does no happen with hood up either.
When I get chance the seat is coming out to check there. Keep thinking chaps.

DM

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Rancho Santa Fe
    • Mrfatboy
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2020, 14:31:01 »
Take the door panel off and then go for a ride again. Maybe you can see what is going on but keep your eyes on the road 😬
1969 280sl (Aug 1968 build)
Signal Red
4 Speed

Pawel66

• Platinum
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2020, 18:59:27 »
Know what? There is this big spring there, I do not remember when it is expanded and when it is contracting (when the glass is up or down). It should be in the plastic sleeve that prevents the noise. have you looked at this spring? There is this metal tab holding it in the middle....
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

alpina

• Vendor
  • Silver
  • Spain, Asturias, Villaviciosa
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2020, 20:24:33 »
I did look at the spring, and the rubber cover was to the front of the door. I moved it back over the start of the spring
But could not move it to cover the whole spring. I checked online to see examples of other doors and most I found had
The spring exposed so I left it where it was. When tapped the spring it does give a similar sound, but could not see how the
Spring would move.  I think I will be removing the door panel again…

hansr433

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Italy, Tuscany, Torrita di Siena
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2020, 21:33:57 »
This could be a stab in the dark, but sitting in a cafe I heard this tiny clinking noise.  Check out the movie.  Perhaps this is what is causing your noise - 2 types of metal touching each other occasionally.
Hans
1963 220SE Cabrio (Exterior: Navy MB 332, Top: Haarz Navy, Interior: 482P Sahara Beige)
1963 BMW R69S

Pawel66

• Platinum
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2020, 21:44:30 »
I did look at the spring, and the rubber cover was to the front of the door. I moved it back over the start of the spring
But could not move it to cover the whole spring. I checked online to see examples of other doors and most I found had
The spring exposed so I left it where it was. When tapped the spring it does give a similar sound, but could not see how the
Spring would move.  I think I will be removing the door panel again…

It vibrates as the car bumps. It may be tapping against that metal tab. Cover this tab maybe with some insulating tape.
But in this case you would hear it when slammi ng doors closed with window down...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 23:18:01 by Pawel66 »
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2020, 20:06:04 »
...It seems that if I have the drivers window is wound all the way up I don’t get as many clinks. Wind the window all the way down the clinks are way more frequent.

I had this very problem.

what it turned out to be is the bottom of the window arm contacting the bottom of the door, when the window was down.

Now, in the perfect world, with a factory adjusted window, all original everything and nothing worn, this will not happen. As soon as you "break the seal" and change or adjust anything all bets are off. You window may never be in adjustment again unless you send the entire car to Gernold Nisius and he spends a few days on it...but I digress.

There were a few solutions.

1. Adjust the stop so it doesn't go down that far...
2. Do NOT put the window down all the way.
3. Add a piece of foam cushion to the bottom of the door.

I think I did mostly, all three things at one time or another.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Sead

• Vendor
  • Senior
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina, Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2020, 17:25:16 »
I had this very problem.

what it turned out to be is the bottom of the window arm contacting the bottom of the door, when the window was down.

Now, in the perfect world, with a factory adjusted window, all original everything and nothing worn, this will not happen. As soon as you "break the seal" and change or adjust anything all bets are off. You window may never be in adjustment again unless you send the entire car to Gernold Nisius and he spends a few days on it...but I digress.

There were a few solutions.

1. Adjust the stop so it doesn't go down that far...
2. Do NOT put the window down all the way.
3. Add a piece of foam cushion to the bottom of the door.

I think I did mostly, all three things at one time or another.

This is what I found inside my doors when stripping it out. On both sides. It is rubber.
1964 230SL

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2020, 18:13:41 »
This is what I found inside my doors when stripping it out. On both sides. It is rubber.

Yes, and what you will find is that "soft items" such as gaskets, seals, etc. are often removed in a restoration and rebuild and often not replaced. (Same thing with data tags.)
Mine were removed at some point when doors were worked on, OR just rotted from age. New rubbers helped.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid