Author Topic: Bringing Home My Pagoda - Towing Advice/Questions  (Read 228 times)

NoEcm

• Junior Level
  • USA, WA, Seattle
Bringing Home My Pagoda - Towing Advice/Questions
« on: June 09, 2019, 01:22:07 »
A little history of the car:

Purchased new in Portland, OR. by my Great Uncle in 1967. In ~2001 or so it was acquired by my Uncle who drove it for a year and then put up on blocks for restoration. Unfortunately it was never touched after that. 3 years ago it was handed down to me and now I'm ready to bring it home.

I'll be renting a tow dolly to bring it home ~50 or so miles. Yes, I understand that I'll need to remove the propeller shaft (driveline) for towing.

Is the removal of the propeller shaft pretty straight forward?

What tools will I need to bring with me to remove the propeller shaft?
-What size wrenches are needed to "release the propeller shaft nut"?
-are just standard 3/8" drive metric sockets and wrenches (10mm - 19mm) needed to remove the bolts and nuts on the propeller shaft from the transmission and  differential.
-Any special to removing the support for the center (intermediate) bearing?
-Is there anything else that I've missed or that I need to remove before working on removing the propeller shaft?

Any other thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
Re: Bringing Home My Pagoda - Towing Advice/Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 02:54:10 »
Is your car a standard or auto?
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 03:00:34 »
Why not just get someone to tow it on a flat bed?  It may cost more, but it would far easier.  Or you could join AAA and have them tow it for you, also on a flat bed.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

Rolf-Dieter

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
  • Ex-Membership Director North America 2016/2018
    • My favorite spot on the Internet
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 03:52:36 »
Flatbed towing would be your best bet. Just make sure that your radiator is not damaged when your car is loaded and unloaded from the flatbed. The hook as you know to pull the car up and then let her back down is very close to the radiator and any sudden slack on the tow cable / sling can damage the radiator.

Good luck,

Dieter
Dieter

Mercedes-Benz 1969 Pagoda 280 SL Auto. Exterior Blue, Interior Blue Leather
Mercedes-Benz 2011 SL 63 AMG Roadster, Exterior Sliver Metallic, Interior Black Leather
I consider myself fortunate to have something New and something Old to enjoy

Norm

• Senior
  • USA, TX, Wimberley
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 04:06:25 »
Congratulations on the new ownership. :)

I would also vote for the flat bed to make sure there is no drama bringing it home.  But if you choose the tow dolly, make sure you mount new tires for the trip.  Towing a vehicle on tires that have been sitting for that long could be asking for trouble.

Good luck!

Norm

Norm
1966 230SL 162H Blue-Grey
1994 Acura NSX Formula Red
2016 Acura RDX Slate Silver
2011 SL550 Diamond White
2011 Harley Davidson Super Glide

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 06:22:26 »
Automatics can only be pulled or towed (with the rear wheels on the ground) for very, very short distances at very low speeds. See the BBB 0-5/1 and 0-5/2 for details on towing and tow-starting. Otherwise, disconnect the driveshaft first before towing or your automatic transmission will be ruined. If the car is standard transmission, flat towing or towing with the rear wheels on the ground is fine (transmission in neutral of coarse). 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 06:29:58 by ja17 »
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

smackYYZ

• Regular
  • USA, FL, Indian River Shores
  • I need a bigger garage
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 20:11:30 »
I used the Auto Club ( that I have on my credit card ), when I inherited mine, like you. But they had a restriction of free towing to the nearest qualified garage within 200 miles. I was 2 miles shorter then the local Mercedes Dealer so I got a free tow to my house ( which was just 2 miles down the road from my house ).

The other option is to go to UHaul and use a car trailer ( not the dolly ). That's what I used when I brought my '66 from Toronto to Florida. That way you don't have to fiddle with the drive shaft.
Mike aka SmackYYZ

1966 230SL Auto
2008 BMW 323i M6 my DD
2014 Corvette Z51 Coupe M7
2015 MB C300

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 21:43:05 »
I used a tow dolly recently but I had the engine and drive shaft out of the car. It worked really well in that format and would be OK on a standard trans car with everything installed. Not OK for an auto.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn