W113 Pagoda SL Group > Drive train, fuel, suspension, steering & brakes

Master Cylinder Leaking

(1/1)

glcg123:
The Master Cylinder on my 230SL works perfectly. The problem I am having is that over a cold winter in storage the fluid leaks out of the master cylinder. This past spring only a bit leaked out. However, since I have readied it for summer I left in the garage overnight and there was brake fluid on the ground. The leak was between the master cylinder and brake booster. Thoughts? I can purchase a FTE Brake Master Cylinder (W0133-1605173) Part Number: FTE1605173. Would I need anything else such as gaskets or seals between the reservoirs and the cylinder? Is there something else causing the problem?

George 1965 230SL

Charles 230SL:
hi George,
Sounds like your master cylinder is leaking fluid at the plunger and you'll need to address it else the fluid will find it's way into your brake booster and ruin the diaphragm.  The master cylinder will need to be replaced (or rebuilt if you prefer that route). There's a seal between the master cylinder and booster and as I recall, the new master cylinder includes a new seal.  Install your old reservoir onto the new master cylinder using a Reservoir Mounting Kit. The kit is available from a number of vendors - I got mine from Bud's. vr,,charles

glcg123:
Thanks!

George

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version