W113 Pagoda SL Group > Electrical and Instruments

35A alternator rebuild for 230SL

(1/1)

Charles 230SL:
During a 45 min drive home last night (lights on) from my folk's house I noticed my alternator light began to illuminate and it remained lit regardless of rpms.   

I still have the original 35A alternator in my 230sl with the 4 threaded posts at the back for the connections. I'd really prefer to keep the original and rebuild it myself - if I could just find a diagram with part numbers for the diodes, brushes, and bearings.

Anyone in this Group ever attempted this or have an idea where I can get part numbers for one of these old 35A alternators?  many thanks, Charles

wjsvb:
If you'd rather not do it yourself, a possibility is to ask your local NAPA store if they can send your alternator to A-1 Cardone under their "R&R" program, where they reman your unit and return.  We've used this program in the past with excellent results where an original unit is wanted.  Best at NAPA to ask the mgr or the oldest guy around there: the youths behind the counter may not know what you're talking about! Jon

Charles 230SL:
I found what I needed at the Bosch-Classic web site: http://www.bosch-classic.com/en/internet/bosch_classic/produkte/produkte.html.

There's a wealth of information (.pdfs) in the Bosch Technical Archives - one of which is attached. Part numbers can be found for all Bosch equipment installed on our cars. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version