W113 Pagoda SL Group > Electrical and Instruments

Emission Control System

(1/3) > >>

TEJOLX47:
Dear Pagoda lovers,

My car is a US 280 SL and therefore has an Emission Control System (ECC)
I struggled to understand its functioning over the time and have published a few tips in the Manual but recently asked for help to Duane Mariage who has a channel on YouTube for car electricity and electronic.
Duane decoded most of the ECC diagram in a film you can find on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PzvtA03RGA
I hope you will enjoy.
Kind regards
Francisco

Peter van Es:
Excellent explanation. I'll add this to the Tech Manual: https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Electrical/EmissionControlSystem

jeffc280sl:
This truly is an excellent basic explanation of the emission control system.  I wish it was available 10 years ago when I was into figuring this stuff out myself. 

A couple of things come to mind.  The manual transmission version is different because it does not have a hydraulic transmission pressure sensor.  There are some switches located on the clutch and elsewhere to sense when the car is in a deacceleration mode. 

The speed relay box was not described in the presentation.  The wiring diagram does not describe the internal workings of this device.  The BBB has an explanation if you care to try and understand its function

I suspect most of the systems do not work today as designed.  Any number of failure points can render the system ineffective.  I have bypassed this system to simplify and improve performance.

Benz Dr.:
If you disconnect the late USA emission system on a 280 SL you should also go back to the early ignition distributor ( 051 ) and the early throttle valve assembly. The late system employs a vacuum switch over valve and with that system not working you will only have about 10 degrees of distributor advance. A lack of power and heavy fuel consumption will be your results if you leave the late system disabled.

jeffc280sl:
The Benz Dr is always thoughtful and correct.  I have switched to the 123 Ignition system on my SL with the factory throttle body

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version