Author Topic: Wind Screen  (Read 2525 times)

Doug Ebbers

Wind Screen
« on: March 24, 2019, 09:44:00 »
I would like to purchase a wind screen for my ‘67 230SL.   Recommendations on where they can be found, please. 

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
Re: Wind Screen
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 15:13:20 »
I've been very happy with this one from WindSchott.de.  Just open the soft top cover, drop it in place and close the soft top cover.

https://www.windschott.de/de/windschotts/mercedes/?p=1
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 15:23:14 by Mike Hughes »
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 23:00:08 »
I have a similar windshot as pictured. Very nice. I could order the trim matching exactly the upholstery. But... there is always a but - if you can find one that allows to open over the rear boot area - it will be much more practical. With this one you have the upper opening of the boot sealed (and it has to be sealed from wind), but you cannot really use the boot.

So a nonchalant toss of a handful of Gucci bags, on your way out of the boutique on Rodeo Drive, into the open trunk behind the rear seats and driving away is out of the question.

You end up opening and slamming the trunk lid. Repeatedy if you do not get the adjustments right...
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

BlackJack

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • Netherlands, South Holland, rotterdam
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 11:37:06 »
There's a whole bunch of suppliers of this design and they are mostly identical. Although not an issue on cars without headrests (as most 230 SLs are), when I have the seat in my 280 - with headrests - moved back to where I would ideally want it to be, I find that the head rest gets in the way and I am unable to flip the windshot up completely to a 90 degree position with respect to the flat screen covering the load bay. So my summer seating position is not ideal (with windshot up and in place), but Fall/Winter OK when hardtop goes on and windshot is out of car.

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 19:47:23 »
I confirm what BlackJack is saying. But when you have the windshot at a slight angle - it still performs its function.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 18:17:38 »
I confirm what BlackJack is saying. But when you have the windshot at a slight angle - it still performs its function.

Gentlemen,
There are different suppliers for wind screens/deflectors available,
and as Pawel mentioned, there are advantages and disadvantages with either of them.

IMHO, the far best you can get is the original Mercedes-Benz designed windscreen, the A113 860 0074, made by ORIS in Markgroeningen (Germany)  which is very unfortunately NLA.
But it is attached to the softtop compartment lid, the tonneau cover ... and leaves a bit non-nice pressure-marks on the leather a bit.
Only antiquarian and very pricey $$$$ ! :o :P

Most others on the market work according to the Aperta (NL) and Weyer (DE) principle, which Mike has presented above.
But there are also others, made of acrylic glass, and etc.

I have got an advanced "Aperta" one which is "shorter" within the luggage area behind the seats so that it doesn't interfere with the headrests anymore.

https://www.ebay.de/i/264124046617
(not associated with the seller, etc.)

For me the best design besides the original MB one.

Good luck!

Achim

(winddeflectorcollector)
Achim
(Germany)