W113 Pagoda SL Group > Wanted To Buy

Original 280SL with manual transmission

<< < (2/6) > >>

specracer:
Stick to your guns on a 3 pedal car (sorry, I just am a manual fan)! And hope you bring another SL to MA.

Benz Dr.:

--- Quote from: Rolf-Dieter on March 04, 2019, 06:01:36 ---Stan,

Check out Bud’s Benz they have several nice cars for sale. They use Hemings to list the cars as well.

Here —-> https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/mercedes-benz/280sl/2185537.html

Dieter

--- End quote ---

Why does it have to be numbers matching when that doesn't matter for our cars?

Benz Dr.:

--- Quote from: MikeSimon on March 04, 2019, 14:41:13 ---Good point, Garry - however.... 8)
When I look at a certain vehicle that went through several "generations", I tend to prefer the latest one. Just because of the progress in technology and engineering. Especially when a model was made over a period of 7 or 8 years.
One thing that always turned me off the 230SL were the rear drum brakes... ::)
To the OP: Not sure that I would prefer a manual over an automatic. Just because of the limited life of a clutch and the associated repair effort every so many miles.

--- End quote ---

Those rear drum brakes work better than you might imagine. The biggest problem I find with them is leaking cylinders caused from lack of servicing.

The clutch last a lot longer than you might imagine but that depends on the kind of driving you do. That would also hold true for brakes and general wear that's part of city driving.

Garry:

--- Quote from: MikeSimon on March 04, 2019, 14:41:13 ---Good point, Garry - however.... 8)
When I look at a certain vehicle that went through several "generations", I tend to prefer the latest one. Just because of the progress in technology and engineering. Especially when a model was made over a period of 7 or 8 years.
One thing that always turned me off the 230SL were the rear drum brakes... ::)
To the OP: Not sure that I would prefer a manual over an automatic. Just because of the limited life of a clutch and the associated repair effort every so many miles.

--- End quote ---

I actually think the car went backwards other than the drum brakes that are really not a big problem as Dan said and maybe the improved crankshaft but that’s debatable.  The loss of the niceties in the door fittings design and the greater use of plastics later and at the same time removal of the chrome to my eye lowered its chic look.

And to think i sold my ‘69 280sl 5 speed to buy a ‘65 230sl auto 🙀🙀🙀🖖🏼 If I had my time again i would buy an early 250sl Auto or stick,

Jordan:

--- Quote from: Garry on March 05, 2019, 05:20:45 ---I actually think the car went backwards other than the drum brakes that are really not a big problem as Dan said and maybe the improved crankshaft but that’s debatable.  The loss of the niceties in the door fittings design and the greater use of plastics later and at the same time removal of the chrome to my eye lowered its chic look.

And to think i sold my ‘69 280sl 5 speed to buy a ‘65 230sl auto 🙀🙀🙀🖖🏼 If I had my time again i would buy an early 250sl Auto or stick,

--- End quote ---

+1 and personally, definitely manual over auto.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version