W113 Pagoda SL Group > Drive train, fuel, suspension, steering & brakes

Cost for an engine rebuild

(1/6) > >>

johnm:
 I'm fearful I'm going to have to have my engine rebuilt soon including piston rings etc. I would appreciate input on what kind of cost I'd be looking at for this. I would need to have all work outsourced. Also interested in knowing whether the engine can remain in the car when this work is performed or does it have to come out? Thanks very much.... John

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎:
Hi John,

This is a very difficult question as you well know I am sure. All depends as to what work will be required and what new parts you will need to put it all back together.

A better question might be “what cost am I looking at to disassemble the engine and put her back together” repairs and parts would be at cost plus. This would give you a ball park number IMHO

One major recommendation would be for you to find someone that does this work on Pagoda Engines all the time. A engine/compression test may provide a near ball park number as to what will be required, however, only once the engine is apart can accurate costs for rework and parts replacement be established once clearances and measurements have been taken etc.

As to your question is it required to remove the engine. It is most likely yes, unless measurements and clearance/head flatness check etc. Show that no machining will be required.

Perhaps other Members can provide information to you as to what an engine rebuild has cost them or Joe Alexander and/or Dan Caron can let you know what ball park numbers are from minimum to maximum. As said it is very difficult to give you a number up front for one never knows what one finds until a visual inspection is done and all measurements are available.

Good luck,

Dieter

johnm:

Thanks Dieter. I understand. Perhaps the more appropriate question would be what price range might I expect. Hoping to get a sense from some of the other members. thanks very much again for your advice.
John

rjmarco:
I have experience as recent as a year ago.  To have the engine pulled by a mechanic, sent to a rebuild shop with Mercedes-Benz expertise, do a typical rebuild including replacement parts, and then reinstall back in the car is about a $15,000 endeavor. 

johnm:

Wow 15K plus 1/2 of what I own when my wife divorces me is too much for this cat. I'll definitely invest in the compression test though to see if I may be in for. thanks very much for the input.
John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version