W113 Pagoda SL Group > Electrical and Instruments

Mercedes Benz Correct Battery for W113

<< < (2/6) > >>

stickandrudderman:
There is a Mercedes sealed battery that fits. I don’t know the part number off hand.

114015:

--- Quote ---There is a Mercedes sealed battery that fits. I don’t know the part number off hand.
--- End quote ---

Colin,
Do you happen to have a pic of that battery? ;)
Is it a modern looking one (like the Diehards or so) or old-fashioned with 6 water plugs on top like the 002 541 8701 26 ?

Any idea one of you how long such a battery holds? Only for three years or longer?
My 114015 has had a modern Bosch battery (Bosch Silver something) that was clearly not looking old-fashioned but it was good for >> 10 years ...

Thanks a lot!
Achim

zoegrlh:
Achim,
The battery that I am replacing, A 003 541 33 01, was in my 280SL for 13+ years. It is the same like battery as my replacement, A 002 541 87 01 26, in size, looks (white), 6 white water plugs, terminals, etc. and was originally shipped dry, hopefully I can get 10+ years out of it. Someone told me these batteries were produced by Interstate for Daimler Benz.  I do agree with next battery down the road, if DB does not have these produced again, a Bosch, at least it's a German company that has many electrical parts on our SLs.
Bob

Mike Hughes:
Hi Bob - 

You will find that, while the new battery is similar in appearance, it is slightly smaller than the old one.  Take a look at the photo Rich posted.  You may notice that there is a slight gap between the left side of the battery case and the inner edge of the original style battery hold-down frame.  This is because the A 002 541 87 01 26 battery is not quite as long (or wide, for that matter!) as the A 003 541 33 01 battery it replaced, which fit under the original style hold down frame exactly because that frame was sized for the ancestor of that battery.

My 1966 data card states that the original battery was VARTA.  VARTA was a battery supplier to M-B for many years, right up until it was absorbed by Johnson Controls sometime in the mid 2000's.  When I acquired my Pagoda in 2003 it had a white case battery similar to your A 003 541 33 01 battery, complete with an official M-B part number label, except the case was still embossed VARTA in blue on the side.  I have no idea how old it was but when it expired a year or two later I replaced it with the A 003 541 33 01 battery with the Mercedes star embossed on the side.  Except for the Mercedes Star, it appeared in all respects to be manufactured by VARTA, right down to the molded details of the plastic case, top cover and caps, and even the spacing and physical appearance of the plates inside.  This battery was good for over 11 years, partially because I keep my collector cars on Battery Tenders when not in use.  For this reason I should expect similar life from my A 002 541 87 01 26 battery.

KevinC:
I realize that this reply is not an answer to the question that was asked, but IMHO I found when sorting-out two W113's, stickershock lead me to looking at battery brands other than MB, especially seeing that Varta brand was NLA. I came to the conclusion that since there is so much "Bosch" under the hood, a Bosch brand battery might make sense. They less than $150 at of all places...Pep Boys.  While the Bosch brand name is part of Robert Bosch of Illinois (Subsidiary of Robert Bosch of Germany), I believe the batteries in the US are actually produced by Exide Technologies in US plants.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version