W113 Pagoda SL Group > Body, interior, paint, chrome, and cosmetic items

Correct Finish to Bosch Horn Screws

(1/6) > >>

RobSirg:
Hi All and Happy New Year,

Was not able to find this in my search - can someone tell me the correct finish to the outer screws (on the rim) on the Bosch Horns? Are they yellow CAD or Black/Dark Grey?

Mine are Black / Dark Grey - have seen yellow CAD which looks nicer but I don't wish to over-restore if that was not the original finish. I believe the 2 screws on either side of the name plate are Gal?

Appreciate your help.

Regards,

Rob

mdsalemi:
How about rust?

Seriously Rob, the most unforgiving life of any part of this car is the horn!  It lives just inches from the pavement, absorbing all manner of weather and abuse...I suspect mine were zinc plated steel whose color, if any, wore off decades ago...

...which is why the replacement kits from places like Stoddard use stainless steel fasteners.

66andBlue:

--- Quote from: RobSirg on January 15, 2019, 04:19:20 ---.. - can someone tell me the correct finish to the outer screws (on the rim) on the Bosch Horns? Are they yellow CAD or Black/Dark Grey?...

--- End quote ---
Go to our tech manual: https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Electrical/Horns
open up the PDF that lists all the Bosch part numbers and you'll find that the screws for the horns in our cars were always black. (There is also a chromed version for horns in other types).
You can also find more info in my article in Pagoda World Number 21, 2017.

RobSirg:
Thanks Mike,

I'm well aware of the salt on the Michigan roads having visited Kalamazoo many times in your winter - fortunately Aussie roads need no such treatment. In any case, the reason I have multiple Pagoda's is so I have some to drive (often) and one for show. This one is undergoing a full restoration and will spend its first few years in show, so it is not likely to enjoy a wet road for a while. I'm more interested in restoring it back to the way it left Stuttgart without going crazy (not going to try replicate orange peel exterior paint finish, etc). If stainless steel screws were the original finish I would gladly install them. I'm thinking maybe they were yellow CAD?

Here's where I am so far - engine was started last month after 3.5 years of work so far (don't ask why it is taking so long). Anyway, it purred like a kitten and passed the coin on the rocket cover test without having a proper tune. FYI - I am trying to replicate the photo taken by John (aka 49er) of his newly delivered manual 280SL(albeit mine is RHD) right down to the yellow caps on the battery. Thanks to John for his "holy grail" photos and for everyone on this forum to help with small details like this. Cheers. Rob

p.s - I am aware there are incorrect clamps, etc,  in this photo as we still have some temporary installations. I will send photos for critique when it is more complete.

RobSirg:
Thanks Alfred, that's great - and proves yet again that my Blue 1969 280SL is correct in every detail.

I did recall there was a good article in Pagoda World and tried to find it - then figured it was quicker to ask here.

Cheers

Rob

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version