W113 Pagoda SL Group > Body, interior, paint, chrome, and cosmetic items

Heated Seats Anyone

(1/6) > >>

Bonnyboy:
I'm really trying to improve my wife's experience in my car because for some reason I don't put the top up very often so I have been driving alone (top down of course).  I came to the conclusion that it might be nicer to have company sometimes so I have been convinced to try installing heating pads in my seats.  Has anyone tried that in our cars. What do use as a power supply?   

I was thinking of combining the seat heaters and the auxillary driving lights with their own dedicated fused circuit straight from the battery with an indicator  light to make sure I don't leave either of them on and drain the battery and burn my seats and my car and the garage and my priceless collection of Pagoda magazines.    Or is there an easier switched circuit to run a relay from to turn on a powerful circuit for the lights and heater directly from the battery?

I'm not an electrical genius so any help is appreciated. 

swood1:
To connect a high powered circuit I would look at something similar to adding fog lights. You will need a relay, but with heated seats it's not that easy to know you've left them on so I am wondering if you could take a wire from the ignition wire with a switch in it so it only runs when your car is powered on.

Steve

Paul & Dolly:
Hi Ian
(Usual disclaimers, all this is at your own risk, just a suggestion, but it works fine for me !)
For these sort of items it is better to install a standard 12v dc relay, with all new wireing, rather than add extra load on the 50 year old cables in our cars.
The numbers here refer to a standard 12 voly DC, relay easily available, the relay coil can then be activated (86/85) by a suitable ignition switched supply eg Cigarette lighter, or radio supply, and returned to earth.
The power supply should come direct from the battery, via a suitable fuse, to (30), then when the ignition is on power will be supplied to (87) and hence to your additional items. When the ignition os off, the power to the additional items will be cut off.

If you are going to add addional lights I would suggest LEDs to keep the power drain lower.
Also check the alternator cables that run under the inlet/exhaust manifolds, they are prone to hardening and insulation failure after 50 years.

If in doubt, consult a suitable workshop.
Have fun
Paul

Benz Dr.:
MB cars that do have heated seats also have a timer on the system that shuts off after cycling period. None of them stay on very long and all of them shut off when you turn the ignition off.

Bonnyboy:
Excellent advice -  the diagram is exactly what I was thinking of.  I'll let you all know how it works -  a timer is a good idea. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version