Author Topic: What do you think? 230 SL project  (Read 3169 times)

Maxime

What do you think? 230 SL project
« on: January 05, 2019, 08:40:10 »
Hello W113 community :),

First I would like to give a quick introduction I am a French guy living in Ireland looking to help my dad sto start his restoration project. He has ability/space tools to start a full project.

Thing is it is hard to have an idea of the real market price even after trying to read a lot, what you guys thinks of the following one? The idea would be to strip it all naked, sand and start from scratch? Any thought good price yes go, or no go?

https://tinyurl.com/yb2x7zrw

Your help is much appreciated,

EeVeeWee

• Silver
  • Netherlands, Utrecht, Leusden
Re: What do you think? 230 SL project
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 09:25:17 »
Hi Maxime,
Nice to do a restoration project, I just started mine.  :D
The price i'm not sure about, what we miss is pictures of the bottom of the car and also the weak spots.
I think you need to see the car on a car lift (or similar) to check if it's a good start for a restoration and if the price is right.
Good luck!
Eric
Again something else.

Maxime

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 10:06:17 »
Thank you for your reply, here is a link of all the picture project was started, missing exhaust:

https://files.mycloud.com/home.php?brand=webfiles&seuuid=398a5dd9dfff6acef9581933508b3801&name=Detail_pictures_Mercedes_230SL

We understand that on top of many hours of work we are going to have to spend additional cash, but the main question I gues is what is reasonable price to ask as for negotiating?

For the story my dad owned the exact same model same colour combination 40 year so we are a bit emotionnaly invlved with this specific one but dont wan to rush either.

What about your project?

Thanks again for your help,

EeVeeWee

• Silver
  • Netherlands, Utrecht, Leusden
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 11:20:08 »
For some reason I can't open the pictures?!
I downloaded them separately.
The first impression is that it can be an interesting project indeed.
But many times the real issues are (on purpose) not photographed, or did you make the pictures yourself?
Also make sure you know which parts are missing and which ones must be renewed or restored (new chrome, yellow passivation, etc.) to make a budget for yourself.
Even then it will be more expensive and take more time than you planned, but the end result will make you forget that detail.  ;D

Here is my topic.
I paid €32.500,- recently for this project.
https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=28229.0
Again something else.

Maxime

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 15:28:05 »
Wooow great project you are starting, and stripping it all, this is the idea.

I guess by the time it's you will double the budget?

Thanks again this is giving already a clearer view.

pj

• Gold
  • Canada, ON, London, Ontario
  • 1965 230SL
    • my home page
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 11:27:45 »
Welcome, Maxime.
We bought our 230SL in 2010 for a reasonable price. But it needed a lot of work, and Dan (Benz Dr) has guided us over the years. But honestly I wish we had driven it for a few more years before starting a long and very expensive restoration project. We had a lot of fun driving it the first few years and now I missed driving it these past years while it has been in the shop. So it depends on your own wishes. Do you enjoy driving, or do you enjoy the time in the shop, working on the car? If the car is running okay, as the description on the sales website says, then you can certainly drive it for a while first. As for the price, it almost doesn't matter how much you pay for it up front if you plan to take it all apart and restore it, because the restoration will cost you at least five times what you buy it for anyway. If you do the work yourself in your shop, you'll pay for it with your time and sweat.

Good luck! Please continue to share your story with the community here.
Peter J
1965 230SL #09474 named Dagny
2018 B250 4matic named Rigel

m300cab

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • USA, Pennington New Jersey
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 00:00:30 »
any documentation on engine and injection pump?
work done receipts etc,
suspension? kingpings, mounts?
without these questions answered and not knowing about
extensive rust, you can be getting in DEEP before you even start
rust can get into the cold air intake on the cowl, ask me how I know...
Michael Parlato

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 16:02:38 »
The truth is you cannot buy these cars cheap enough to justify, financially, the cost of restoration.
So, you are left with an emotional purchase if you want one. How much do you want one?

Tom in seattle

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • USA, WA, Shoreline
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 07:05:54 »
By no means am I a valuable resource to answer your question.  In fact I am working on my first resto project of a MB car.  I have done a couple of British cars and 2 Porsche 356 cars.  I will always advise to buy the best example you can afford as your staring point and run, don't walk, from rust. Chassis galvanization didn't come Germany until the mid 70's. Having said that much you need to have a clear vision of what your end objective will be.  Do you want a concourse winning trailer queen or are you hoping to build a well running, very nice to look at car to drive on nice days to attract high fives and looks from those who remember them in their days past?  The concours winners go beyond my patience and budget.  But I'm having great fun using this website treasure to achieve my head turning vehicle which is well short of the best work you will find among the talented many who frequent here. 
Tom Averill
1967 250 SL Auto Euro Spec