Off Topic > Other cars

1989 560SL (w107) gauges went bonkers

(1/4) > >>

Cole:
Hi,

I'm a '68 pagoda owner with a 560SL problem.
I'm hoping that some of you can help with the apparent electrical/gauge situation I have with this '89 560SL that I just got from the East Coast a couple weeks ago. (I'm in LA.) Basically, a few of the gauges are very erratic and two or three of them start moving at the same time even with the ignition off. For example, with the motor off, if I move the turning signal up or down, the temp gauge and, I believe, the fuel gauge move around.
Other info:
* there's a constant whining noise from the dash that won't stop (so I disconnect the battery);
* there's corrosion on the positive battery head;
* the motor starts and runs well except when I test drove the car, the temp gauge went out the roof even though the car had been driven for just few minutes.
* The car was transported out here from South Carolina and was inspected by an MB dealership there prior to purchase who mentioned nothing about this; during transport, there were one more good rain storms according to the truck driver. There was water in the spare tire well which I removed; there was definite moisture in the right side of the trunk over between the battery and the inner quarter panel; as mentioned, the + head of the battery has corrosion on it (on the main cable attachment and the smaller cable going to it).
* the car has been in my driveway covered for almost three weeks here in So Cal in the dryer weather, but the same problems occurred today when I tested it.

Hopefully, these are enough symptoms to start with.

Thanks very much.
Cole

cabrioletturbo:
It would help if you locate where the noise is coming from. This remotely is anyone's best guess.
As W107s are notorious for rust underneath the heater box (see pic), if I were you I would inspect that area first, clean up and ensure drain hoses are operational (not leaking into passenger compartment).
Why is this important? As I suspect you may be losing ground somewhere, IF there was rust in the area behind the dash, it could have come (from the heater area) and compromised any of the ground connectors. As you are in SC, may be worth leaving the car open when it is warm and dry, then test for leakages at the front. You may get surprised.

The speedo instrument on 560SL is digital, so pulling it out and checking all the connectors would do good. I seriously doubt you have speedo issue, but that is just me.
Clean the battery terminals, run around with the voltmeter make sure there is no draw-down and if you find an issue, report back.

(not an expert, just common-sense troubleshooting)

Cole:
Thanks for your reply and good info.
Do you think that a corroded positive battery head could be the source of these erratic gauge problems? Wouldn't it be causing other electrical problems in the car, too?
I tend to agree with you that it's a short or related problem in the dash area.

I appreciate your help.

cabrioletturbo:
I don't think your issue is positive battery head, but you should clean them both and then work from there on.

Cole:
Also, the red SRS ("Supplemental Restraint System"?) light is on which was noted before purchase. I don't know what the SRS light is or indicates exactly though have gotten some info indicating that it has to do with the airbags.
So... a couple more questions: does this light relate only to the airbags? If not, what else? Is it related to my erratic gauge problem?

Thanks!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version