W113 Pagoda SL Group > W11x chassis cars

Distributor Orientation / Adjustment

(1/2) > >>

PeterPortugal:
Hi All,

I am trying to get my ignition timing correct. As per the manual I am trying to adjust the ignition timing to 28 degrees BTDC above 3000rpm with vacuum advance disconnected. (W111 220SE 1963).

I have two specific questions:-

1. Is my distributor installed correctly? Most of the period pictures I find show the vacuum advance module pointing roughly towards the fuel injection pump. Mine is pointing towards the air inlet filter. See picture below.

2. I have adjusted the distributor using the little adjustment handle but it's reached the end of it's travel and my timing is still only approximately 25 degrees BTDC. How do I advance the timing further? See picture below.

Regards

Peter

wwheeler:
Peter,

I would have thought the timing should be a minimum of 30* @ 3000 RPM? My vacuum advance faces the IP on both the ‘60 220SE and the ‘68 280SE. So I would think that should be correct for your ‘63 220SE. I would change that and see what happens.

Wallace

dirkbalter:
With respect to distributor orientation, mine is the same location as yours (280sel). Working fine.

PeterPortugal:
Thanks for the replies guys...I wasn't expecting much on the day after Christmas Day !

Wallace - 28 Deg BTDC is stated in the manual (without vacuum advance). Even if you are right I am still in trouble because I have hit a limit of advancing the timing beyond 25 DegC BTDC anyway.

Dirk - Thanks for sharing the picture and I think the location may be correct for your later car. For earlier versions I am not so sure.

I just found some more info in the technical manual and it seems I can remove the distributor and re-install it with an offset of 40 Degrees....I might "dwell" on this for a while - pardon the pun !!

Best wishes to you and your families.

dirkbalter:
Peter, you are probably right. Just saw that too.
Happy Holidays

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version