W113 Pagoda SL Group > Body, interior, paint, chrome, and cosmetic items

70-71 Oil filler cap finish?

(1/3) > >>

Shvegel:
I have been seeing a lot of high end restorations that have the later steel oil filler cap in yellow cad finish.  I am wondering if this is correct?  I purchased a NOS oil filler cap(not inexpensive)with the correct OEL stamping a while back and it came type 1(bright zinc).  I opened the original package.  I have looked online at a number of “original” cars but the ones with the yellow cad caps all seem to have undergone some underhood restoration before photos were taken can anyone shed some light here?

MikeSimon:
Pat:

I wish I could be of more help...but anyway:

Here is a picture of the cap from my car 70/71 280SL. I know, there was some engine work done on the car, but I am only the 3rd owner and the filler cap is most probably still the original one. Don't think this was Yellow Cad.

Shvegel:
Thanks for the picture Mike! Kind of what I think too.  A couple really low mile cars were sold in the last couple years and I think they “Spruced” up the plating and yellow cad plated the oil cap as well.  Once the pictures came out it became gospel but I think it might not be correct.

MikeSimon:
I agree, Pat. this is an easy to replace item and it catches your eye right away when you open the hood and look at the engine. The original cap, even on a low mileage car, will show some signs of use. It will become really shiny where you "handle" it and some are sitting really tight, so hamfisted mechanics use tools to turn them and you see the marks.
I am sure, I have picture somewhere of a new car engine compartment which will also show the filler cap.

ja17:
Yep, I vote silver.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version