Author Topic: Dash Restoration Questions  (Read 2026 times)

thundata

Dash Restoration Questions
« on: November 20, 2018, 16:18:32 »
Hi all:

I'm in the process of repainting the dash because it doesn't match the exterior and it's driving me crazy.  I have a few questions:

1.  What's the minimum amount of disassembly that's required for a dash repaint?  I know the vents are a nightmare!
2.  When removing the center gauge cluster - is there a cap I can put on the end of the oil line to prevent dripping?
3.  I'm going to recover the upper dash pads with leather.  Opinions on just doing the uppers or are uppers and lower a better bet?  Any recommendations in Southern California for getting it done at a good price?

Oh - car is a pure stock '65 230sl.

Thanks so much.

cabrioletturbo

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Canada, Ontario, Ottawa
Re: Dash Restoration Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 17:02:17 »
Do a proper work, you will thank yourself later that you did. Removal is not that hard, once you get the wood trim out of the way. Just be aware that the dash pieces sometimes have hidden screws, so do not pull unless dash piece feels loose. If you need pics of where the screws "likely" are, let me know and I can provide. My dash is disassembled so that should help.
Igor
1965 W113 230SL, Ivory with Black

thundata

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 23:06:53 »
Do a proper work, you will thank yourself later that you did. Removal is not that hard, once you get the wood trim out of the way. Just be aware that the dash pieces sometimes have hidden screws, so do not pull unless dash piece feels loose. If you need pics of where the screws "likely" are, let me know and I can provide. My dash is disassembled so that should help.

Hi:  That's super generous of you.  I'd be really grateful if you could send through those pics.  I'd read that there are many pieces that have compression type attachments on posts that can be a nightmare to get off!

FresnoBob

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Fresno
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 19:54:03 »
I just completed a full restoration of my dash, including re-dyeing the leather.  I bought the dye at:

http://www.classicdyeproducts.com

I had to use a glaze to fill some of the cracks in the leather. 

Cleaning the glass behind the gages was a very slow and meticulous challenge, but the result was wonderful.  I carefully sanded the teak plywood, but still sanded through in a couple of places.  Perhaps you can be more careful than I was. 

I had my clock rebuilt at:

http://dandmrestoration.com

Good luck!!
Bob Comstock
1966 230 SL Euro Auto
2017 AMG C43 Cabriolet