W113 Pagoda SL Group > Research & Development

The Lost Art Of Mechanical Fuel Inection

<< < (2/3) > >>

Montreal V8:
   Heath Robinson was Britain's equivalent, his cartoons were also amazingly complex.

smackYYZ:
For fun, here is a great music video inspired by Rube Goldberg .

https://youtu.be/qybUFnY7Y8w

Jonny B:
OMG! Great vid! I wonder if that is what is going on inside that little case we call a fuel injection pump...>!?

mdsalemi:

--- Quote from: Jonny B on November 22, 2018, 16:29:38 ---OMG! Great vid! I wonder if that is what is going on inside that little case we call a fuel injection pump...>!?

--- End quote ---

Well, JonnyB, in a sense a carburetor does a very similar thing and many carburetors have very few moving parts and very few adjustments. So, in very real sense we do have a Rube Goldberg Machine inside our FI pumps.

While I was entertained by that video, I must say that it didn't appear as if every action triggered something else, it sure appeared as if there was a lot added (remember it's a music video!) just for visual effect. But, very well done indeed.

MikeSimon:

--- Quote from: 66andBlue on November 20, 2018, 23:58:29 ---This is another gem ... or stinger:
Take the plungers. They run in steel barrels with micron-level clearance. No seals separate them from the oil in the pump's sump. Their fit alone holds back the 400 psi of fuel they can produce. All this for a marque where production inconsistencies mean body panels don't always fit when swapped between cars.

--- End quote ---

The FI pump was not manufactured by Daimler Benz.
It was made by Bosch.
During a time when that supplier still made high quality parts and did not have to compete with cheap Chinese imports.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version