Off Topic > Other cars

Unknown Mercedes In-line 6

(1/2) > >>

MikeSimon:
I met with Pat (Shvegel) today at my place  8) 8) ;D and we talked SL and Mercedes and Cars ;D
I mentioned that I saw a Ferrari GTO replica at Mid-Ohio this summer with, what the owner claimed was a Mercedes motor.
Found some pictures.
Anybody know what engine this is?

bogeyman:
Wild guess here but it looks like the MB knockoff that Nissan/Datsun used in the 240Z, etc.

Benz Dr.:
Not a MB engine. Probably Nissan.

Mike Hughes:
The whole car is Nissan/Datsun with replica body panels and bodywork disguising the the 260Z underneath.  The dead giveaways are the door handles and side window frames, windscreen and the layout of the entire engine compartment:  strut towers, etc., right down to the upper coolant hose, brake booster, routing of the plug wires and principal vacuum hoses and and coil location.  The polished valve cover is either aftermarket, or an original with the raised "NISSAN -OHC" ground off the center section behind the oil cap.  It would be interesting to see what mods were made to disguise the interior, but I bet the prominent strut towers intruding into the luggage compartment would still be there!

waltklatt:
Wonder if this would be called a 125 GTO?  Only has 6 cylinders instead of original 12 cylinders.
Nissan motor definitely!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version