W113 Pagoda SL Group > W11x chassis cars

Period Exhaust Upgrade

(1/3) > >>

Frontseat Driving:
Hi all.  I'm in need of a new rear muffler for my Fintail and I'm curious if anyone knows what one might have used to upgrade their Fintail in period. 

I have been building my car in a manner that a family man with but one car might have outfitted his car for weekend sport with a strict adherence to authenticity. 

Any thoughts, recommendations would be appreciated.  Failing a vintage replacement I may go the Timevalve route and ask for a bit more sound.

Thanks in advance!

Benz Dr.:
There are several fintail models we could be referring to - which one do you have? 190, 200, 220, 230, or 300  gas or diesel? I don't think you'd see a whole lot of performance improvement by a simple muffler change. There are other things that can give you a bit more for not a big dollar outlay.

Frontseat Driving:

--- Quote from: Benz Dr. on October 07, 2018, 00:48:06 ---There are several fintail models we could be referring to - which one do you have? 190, 200, 220, 230, or 300  gas or diesel? I don't think you'd see a whole lot of performance improvement by a simple muffler change. There are other things that can give you a bit more for not a big dollar outlay.

--- End quote ---

Sorry I didn't think it would matter much for the muffler, 230S.  I'm not worried about ACTUAL performance, I'm just curious if there was something that a 'car guy' might have installed back then.

Benz Dr.:
I've been able to make many old cars run better just by upgrading to a hotter coil and better ignition wires with proper spark plug heat range. Set your ignition timing to at least 38 degrees BTDC at 3,000 RPM and it could make it run a lot better.

Frontseat Driving:

--- Quote from: Benz Dr. on October 07, 2018, 19:42:33 ---I've been able to make many old cars run better just by upgrading to a hotter coil and better ignition wires with proper spark plug heat range. Set your ignition timing to at least 38 degrees BTDC at 3,000 RPM and it could make it run a lot better.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, again, I'm not actually trying to improve performance.  However I'll keep that info in mind.  More importantly however, do you run a shop?  I would be interested in giving the car a thorough going over and you aren't terribly far away.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version