W113 Pagoda SL Group > W11x chassis cars

help needed removing trigger points for injectors in lower distributor (M116 )

<< < (4/4)

rutger kohler:
Hi, thanks for all the suggestions. Today I put the trigger points back into the distributor and got that back onto the original setting, thanks for the advice regarding removal and replacement. I have also checked the resistance of the air intake and the engine water temperature sensors against the BBB specs and they are ok. I also checked the resistance etc on the MAP valve on various pins according to https://oldtimer.tips/en/d-jetronic/72-troubleshooting, and they checked out ok.

I like the idea of the smoke machine for checking the vacuum but at this point will have to locate a garage with one locally.

In the meantime I also think it has something to do with the fuel delivery system.  According to the BBB the fuel pump should be able to deliver 120L/hr or 2L/minute at 2 BARG (30psi). Where would you recomend I connect to the fuel system to check this flow rate, is it ok draining it open ended into a bucket to check the flow or does it have to be at pressure?

Finally it is worth noting that the car was running trouble free until I took it off the road and replaced the front and rear rubbers etc on the trailing or radius suspension arms.  because I don't have a car hoist I had to jack up each side of the car quite high to release the rear springs, one side at a time. I have checked and haven't damaged any of the fuel lines in doing this, however after completing this job I only got a short run in and parked the car.  The next morning large clouds of gray smoke came out of the exhaust but cleared and I did a short run in the car, however the next day the engine really developed the missing and back firing. 

It may be a coincidence, I can't think what might have caused it, however despite having drained the petrol tank already I am going to drain it again and take the tank filter out and clean it.  If it has a lot of crud in it I may take the tank out itself.

Benz Dr.:
I would pull the spark plugs and have a look. A lot of poor running can be traced back to fouled plugs.

rutger kohler:
Hi, you have hit the nail on the head Don. I never came back because that is what I found was wrong, new spark plugs fixed the problem.  I had a similar problem about a year ago, so the first thing i did this time was to remove the spark plugs and machine wire brush them clean. I assumed this would fix spark plug problems but have since found out, after checking many other things, this is not the case.

Will be straight to new spark plugs the next time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version