Author Topic: How to install new breather tube and protective sleeve?  (Read 2561 times)

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Rancho Santa Fe
    • Mrfatboy
How to install new breather tube and protective sleeve?
« on: January 05, 2018, 23:43:23 »
I will be needing to install a new plastic breather tube as well as a new rubber protective sleeve.  I have followed a recent discussion started by Pawell66 but wanted more info.  Vaseline, hot water, heat gun have all been mentioned.

Can anybody explain more thoroughly how to go about getting the sleeve on with both pipes?  What end did you start with? What pipe went in first? etc?

Below is a pic of my existing setup.  The black plastic pipe has broken off in the sleeve.  The sleeve has a tear on the back.  I'm sure everything will be destroyed when I try to take it apart.

1969 280sl (Aug 1968 build)
Signal Red
4 Speed

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
Re: How to install new breather tube and protective sleeve?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 00:37:27 »
My experience here is limited to one try only. I had the water pipe on the car and did not want to remove it. I sprayed some vaseline inside the sleeve, put the sleeve on the water pipe and then put the breather pipe in. I twisted my arm, I was late for lunch (which had severe consequences), but I put it in. I think important is that the ends of the pipes that go to throttle are more or less parallel and of equal length so that they fit in the hoses on the throttle. I see on the pictures that the water hose has clamps and the breather hose does not.

I am sure there is a better way.

I think that it is better that you have it out of the car. I just cannot imagine how you hold one pipe when you push the other. It seems to me that I would have a helper to hold the water line while I push the breather. The sleeve is quite strong, actually.

I cleaned the Mercedes bought sleeve from the protective coat with vaseline.

Do not forget the gasket at the throttle end that goes across the pipes. I have no idea why it is there, but it is seen when you look at the engine and it is supposed to be there, I guess.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
    • Mrfatboy
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 00:48:52 »
The rubber sleeve must be really flexible to stretch over those 90 degree turns especially when one pipe is already in the sleeve.

Here is a pic of the other parts that connect to the throttle body on my car.
Signal Red
4 Speed

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 07:44:05 »
It is indeed. I think it went to the straight part of the pipe in my case a bit so its bent end was being stretched.
The gasket with two holes that goes across the pipes is A1302030080 and it costed here about $5 in case you want a new one.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
    • Mrfatboy
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 20:28:27 »
Just to close out this thread for future readers.....

Thanks to a tip from 66andblue via JA17 :)  I used Meguires Hot Tire spray as a lubricant that worked really well.  I also used a heat gun to make the rubber more pliable.  It was much stronger/flexible than I thought.

I first slipped the rubber sleeve over the metal coolant tube than the plastic pipe went in last.  Just take your time and use lots of lubricant.  Be gentle when twisting the plastic tube.  Too much torque and you might snap it especially if it's older plastic.  That's probably what happened to mine with the PO.

P.S.
Dont get to excited about my phrasing :) ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 22:32:58 by mrfatboy »
Signal Red
4 Speed