Author Topic: Virginia PUB Dinner Recipe  (Read 4245 times)

Alex D

• Silver
  • USA, NC, Cary
Virginia PUB Dinner Recipe
« on: September 20, 2017, 17:40:53 »
I'm not sure what was more of a success at Virginia PUB the cars or the amazing Friday night dinner.  Due to popular request, we posting the recipe  for the Friday night dinner.  Any questions, contact pm Baybear (Will Milby). 

PUB beef tenderloin recipe:

1 whole beef tenderloin, trimmed. To trim the tenderloin see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtoscFwG29E
 The tenderloin is cooked using the "sous vide" method. You can learn about this method here:
https://anovaculinary.com/what-is-sous-vide/

Place the whole trimmed  tenderloin in a vacuum bag with 4 tablespoons of butter and a few  sprigs of rosemary, seal and cook in the water bath at 130 degrees for about 2 hours. You can leave it the water bath much longer if needed, 4-6 hours, and you will not over cook it. Remove from the bag and dry it off. Rub with oil (any cooking oil) and coat with coarsely ground pepper and salt. Sear on a grill or in the oven at 500 degrees until nice dark brown.  With sous vide cooking you don't need to let the meat rest however I find letting it rest for 5-10 min will produce some juices which I pour back over the sliced meat.
The sous vide method works especially well with red meats such as beef, lamb and wild game, but will give wonderful results with chicken, turkey, pork and fish as well. Google for recipes as there are many on the Web.

PUB salmon recipe:

1 salmon fillet, skinless and boneless, about 3 lbs. ( Atlantic farm raised)
Place in lightly greased or oiled pan.
Season with salt and pepper.
For the sauce or glaze I use about equal parts coarse ground mustard and maple syrup, perhaps a bit more mustard than syrup. Coat the fish with the glaze. Add about 1/4 cup of water to the pan. Place in preheated 475-500 degree oven and cook to a internal temperature of 125 degrees. This will take about 10-15 minutes. Start checking the temperature of the thickest part of the fish at 8 minutes. If you are using wild salmon cook to 120 degrees as it has less fat than the farm raised.
Also some recipes will brine the fish for 30 minutes to 1 hr. prior to cooking to help the albumin from forming on the outside. I have tried it both ways and don't notice a difference.

Alex D
1967 250 SL
Original 140K mi
181 Light Beige, with  112 Turquoise Interior

smackYYZ

• Inactive
  • Regular
  • USA, FL, Indian River Shores
  • I need a bigger garage
Re: Virginia PUB Dinner Recipe
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 19:31:18 »
I guess I'm going to have to get a sous vide bath now!  My business partner has one and swears by it.

Many thanks for Fridays fantastic dinner!

Mike aka SmackYYZ

1966 230SL Auto
2008 BMW 323i M6 my DD
2014 Corvette Z51 Coupe M7
2015 MB C300

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 15:53:14 »
Last year, I became enamored with the sous vide process and started down the path. I believe Peter Van Es is well experienced with the process.

For those wanting to try it out, the FIRST thing you'll need is a "food saver" vacuum sealer. Food Saver is a brand name, and they sell these at Costco, Bed Bath and Beyond, Amazon and related. They allow you to package food in vacuum-sealed bags, preventing freezer burn. They are essential for the sous vide method since you need your food sealed in plastic with no air. But they are more than that; with one of these, you can take advantage of sale prices on meats and other freezable products and retain their integrity over much longer periods than say, a zip-lock bag.  I bought my Food Saver while on sale at Costco, FoodSaver FM5480, last year. I think you can find that for around $125-$175 depending on sale, vendor, etc. There are less costly and more costly ones depending on features. Your ongoing expense will be the bags, and generic bags work fine.

Once you get the hang of the vacuum sealer (not too difficult if you own and maintain a Pagoda!!!) the next step is the sous vide machine. Basically, this is a heater and pump assembly that clamps onto a pot or on a cooler, and heats and circulates the heated water at extremely precise temperatures. One noted brand and the one used by the Will at PUB this past weekend was made by Anova. They make several models, running around $120. When I was searching for one the other day, (after that tenderloin last weekend, I jumped back on the sous vide wagon...) I went searching at Amazon...and one by Wancle showed up at a "flash sale" and I ended up buying the Wancle unit here http://a.co/h0ZC1t4 for just $89.95. Today, it is $109.99. As it just arrived I won't be able to test it until tonight or later... UPDATE: I've got the machine going right now. If you go to the Wancle website, and to the product listing http://www.wancle.net/product/077.html and then touch the USA flag, it will take you to another "Flash Sale", so if you enter Amazon that way you may still get it for $89.95.

The basic gist of sous vide is precise cooking. Do you want a rare steak? That's 130 degrees F. But it in the water bath; it can't get overcooked since the water is exactly 130 degrees; most of the sous vide units maintain the water temperature quite accurately. So, cook it for 2 hours or 6 hours--won't be overcooked. Turn your back on a NY strip on a grill and your $12 a pound steak will be charcoal in minutes.

After our tenderloins last weekend came out of the water bath, they were momentarily put on the grill/smoker for a little extra crust/flavor/finishing.

My cousin is a chef, with 30+ years of experience including that in many famous restaurants in NYC, and two Michelin *** restaurants in France and Switzerland. He told me that it's the only way to cook ten tenderloins for a crowd perfectly (as Will did), but "I can cook a tenderloin perfectly w/o one". I reminded him of his experience, and the most of us don't have that, so a little help from a machine goes a long way. He then conceded that maybe a sous vide machine is OK to have... ;)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 18:14:26 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 16:09:08 »
Mike,

Thanks for sharing the above information, i can use it now that i am chef cook and bottle washer :)

Thank you

Dieter
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 15:09:41 »
I am indeed a sous-vide afficionado... and Will Millby did a great job cooking a great meal for a large crowd. Whereas I agree that a sous-vide recipe is not always required to get a good result, cooking a restaurant quality tenderloin for a 100 people is really only possible using this method.

Again, Will's efforts made for a great meal, and in the unique atmosphere that is Ramsay's farm and the Virginia PUB, beat any restaurant!

What most people probably didn't realise is how much gear and stuff Will brought with him to be able to do this. We are lucky to have such an enthusiastic and dedicated member!

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!