Author Topic: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.  (Read 3647 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.
« on: August 15, 2017, 15:22:11 »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinker_Tailor_Soldier_Spy_(film)

There was a brief scene in the movie with the actress Svetlana Khodchenkova as Irina driving a Pagoda with Tom Hardy as Ricky Tarr. Very brief, I noted the little hold for the soft top latching and thought, "I think that's a Pagoda" on a close up. When it went to a long shot, sure enough--it was--and the scene was over. To me, it was about the best part of the movie, however brief.

I haven't read any John LeCarre novels, and found this movie horrifically boring. But then again, I didn't read the book. Seemed to me it was mostly about Gary Oldman as George Smiley walking around in a trenchcoat, looking smug and saying little, with everyone trying to find the "mole" at British intelligence. My opinion is clearly in the minority, as it got pretty good reviews. With a background of the cold war, Russian spies, MI6 and filming in Istanbul, Budapest and UK, there was the possibility of all kinds of interesting intrigue. I didn't find it.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Re: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 19:04:54 »
Pretty cool seeing that old Citroen too. I remember when I was in Paris and got into one that was a taxi. It was like getting into (or on) a boat.

John

1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

Rothko

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • USA, FL, Palm Beach
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 21:33:48 »
I was just watching an old episode of Magnum, P.I., and they showed traffic around downtown Honolulu, and there was a pagoda that drove by.  I stopped the DVR and went back just to see it.

I would almost consider giving up my pagoda for the Ferrari that Magnum drove.  That car was awesome.

Bonnyboy

• Gold
  • Canada, BC, North Vancouver
  • 1969 280sl Euro 4sp LSD
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 14:03:10 »
I'm re watching the Magnum series right now and there are a few Pagodas popping up in the background.  You really have to look - not like the same Volks Bug that is in almost every second episode.

The Ferrari he drove is actually 3 -   a 1978 308GTS     a 1980 308 GTSi  and a 1984 308 GTSi  QV   and then there were the Pontiac Fiero Kit cars that they thrashed.

I did notice that Rick drives a 380sl that seems to be dirty and then clean and then dirty again in the same scene. 

Ian
69 280SL
65 F-100
73 CB750K
75 MGB
78 FLH
82 CB750SC
94 FLHTCU
08 NPS50

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 14:19:26 »
I read Selleck is so tall that even with the seat bolted to the floor, his head still poked over the top of the screen so they never filmed him side on in the car, always slightly from above to disguise the fact that he really didn't fit in the car.
Maybe bolleaux but having sat in one, I'd not buy (as if!) one as I am just over 6'2
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather