Author Topic: [#Tutorial] How to refurbish/restore relay covers?  (Read 3920 times)

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Rancho Santa Fe
    • Mrfatboy
[#Tutorial] How to refurbish/restore relay covers?
« on: August 09, 2017, 19:58:30 »
I wanted to share my experience restoring the outer covers of my relays.  I used a Polycrylic/Toner technique that I found online.  I originally just printed the relay images from the engineer tags from the tech manual on clear sticker paper and applied but I did not like the results. I could always tell it was a sticker.  YMMV

Tip - Try first on a smooth surface such as metal plate, plastic, etc to get the hang of hit. This method should work on any smooth surface.

It's a simple, inexpensive, weekend project :) Enjoy!

Step 1
Remove relay from car

Step 2 (optional)
Remove relay covers from the mechanical relay.  I did this with one of my relays but didn't not do it with the others.  It didn't seem necessary for my needs. Besides that the older original relay covers were too difficult to take off with out possibility of breaking something.

Step 3
Decrease and clean relay cover.  I used Simple Green.

Step 4
Polish & clean relay.  I used a cheap buffer attachment from Harbor Freight in my drill with some metal polish.  This goes quick depending on how bad off your relays are.

Step 5
Mask off relay pins to protect from satin clear coat if you did not take off cover.  Apply 3 - 4 clear coats to cover as per spray can directions

Step 6
Print out your desired relay image using the updated engineering tags 8-9-17

https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Restricted/Start.

EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!!!!!!   These pages must be printed in REVERSE/MIRRORED and with a LASER PRINTER ONLY!!!!!  Inkjet printers will not work.
If you have a home inkjet printer you can print the sheets MIRRORED and then use a standard copy machine(at a copy store) to make copies. You want your copies to have toner on them.  AGAIN! inkjet printers will not work.

Step 7
Cut out your mirrored image that you want to apply to the relay.

Step 8
Apply an EXTREMELY thin and EVEN coat of Polycrylic with brush.

Step 9
Apply your cut out image face down to relay cover.  You basically get one shot at this so make it count.  You might get 1/2 second to move it but I would not count on it.
Gently remove all air bubbles if any using smooth pen casing or other smooth object.  Try not to get any of the polycrylic on the paper. It will make it more difficult to remove.

Step 10
Wait at least 1 hour to dry.

Step 11
Apply drops of water to paper image. Cover it all. Leave water standing for 5 minutes.  This softens up the paper.

Step 12 (Critical)
This step is critical for the end result quality.  TAKE YOUR TIME!  Gently in a circular motion use your finger and rub the top of the paper off.  GENTLY and SLOWLY!!!!.  The paper will start disappearing as the upper layers turn in to pulp. Keep applying water. Work it until MOST of the white pulp is gone. This should take 5 - 10 minutes
If you do this 100% correctly all that will be left is the black inked image.  HOWEVER!!!  I could not get it that close because the images had too much fine detail. If I worked it too long or hard I rubbed off parts the ink.  It's best to remove as much as you can feel comfortable with.  The final clear coats should hide any imperfections.
Look for "whiter" parts of the paper. This indicates more rubbing attention as the paper is still thicker in that area.

Here is a pic of my first attempt that I scrapped and had to start over.  My errors were not clear coating first (The polycrylic blotched the bare metal cover) and not removing all the brighter white paper.  You can see it on the edges and it will be harder to hide with the final clear coat.  Make the haze all even at least.
If you mess up you can always start over.  Clean up with acetone and go to step 3

Step 13
Gently clean off any remaining pulp and let dry a couple of minutes

Step 14
Apply light satin clear coats until image edges are hidden or you are satisfied.

Step 15
Enjoy your newly refurbished relay :)

« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 18:04:31 by mrfatboy »
1969 280sl (Aug 1968 build)
Signal Red
4 Speed

johnk

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Avon
Re: [#Tutorial] How to restore relay covers?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 22:57:57 »
This is super helpful thank you! I will have to refinish mine over the next year and I had no idea how to do it.

JohnK
John Krystowski
Avon Ohio
1968 Euro 280sl under restoration
2016 Jag F-Type R sold june 2021
1950 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 SS For sale
2008 E350
2007 GL 450
2019 BMW 540

WRe

• Platinum
  • Germany, Hessen, Seeheim-Jugenheim
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 05:22:21 »
Great work, great description, well done!
...WRe

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 05:59:02 »
Excellent information and job and thanks for helping with the building of information for Members in the Tech Manual
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 09:22:11 »
Excellent. I've added it to the Technical Manual (https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Electrical/RefurbishRelay) and moved the pictures from Dropbox to our site, so that if ever you lose your dropbox account, they are still there.

If you'd like to see how easy it is to create or edit a similar page in the Technical Manual, just select Edit from the Actions on the left. Have a look at the layout and formatting. It really is very easy to use the Wiki layout for these sort of guides! And... any updates are really easy to add.

Thanks again!
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Rancho Santa Fe
    • Mrfatboy
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 12:47:18 »
Thanks Peter and everyone.  I was going to add it to the tech manual once everyone had a chance to make comments but you beat me to it 😀

If you didn't do so all ready I will add this post to tech manual so there can be an official discussion thread for any questions on the tutorial.
1969 280sl (Aug 1968 build)
Signal Red
4 Speed