Author Topic: Correct gap around the hood, and correct gap between the front grille and body  (Read 2912 times)

rutger kohler

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • New Zealand, Auckland, Auckland
I am about to start repairs and painting on my 280SL (1969).  I was last painted in 1991 and although very tidy, the paint is starting to let go. I need to know the correct gap, all the way around,  between the body and the hood, (which is the original one).  Have put a search in this column and the closest suggestion I get is 3 -4mm  is that correct please?  I also looked up the technical manual but nothing there that i couold see.

Secondly, when I bought the car in 2012 there was a vinyl strip with a roll in the front between the chrome grille and the body, all the way around. I have been told this is not correct and if this is the case I may need to get either the grille or the body reshaped to close a gap when the vinyl strip is removed. This will be quite thin and I wouldn't think it would be more than 1.2mm or 1/16".

What is the correct gap (if any between the grille and the body, all the way around please?
1969 280 SL Manual gear shift
1972 280SE 3.5 auto

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
Quote from: rutger kohler
..../... the correct gap, all the way around,  between the body and the hood
4mm is what is specified in the M-B bodywork manual

What is the correct gap (if any between the grille and the body, all the way around
I´m not sure if I understand your question. Anyway, the grille surround fits flush onto the painted car body.
However, on the chrome "inside" so to say, from factory there was a taped strip applied to serve as an in-between layer.  Tape was also present on the black grill rib piece
Today, hockey tape is a good alternative for use here.
Se for instance this thread: https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=22842.msg163491#msg163491
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 09:47:12 by mbzse »
/Hans S

rutger kohler

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • New Zealand, Auckland, Auckland
Hi there, thanks for that.  Now understand correct hood gap is 4mm all the way round.  You have pretty much understood what I mean about the any gap between the chrome grille and the body nose.  I have tried to take some photos at night but the camera flash has prevented me showing the problem.  Will try tomorrow in daylight. It is pretty clear to me that either the chrome grill, or the body nose will have to be altered.
1969 280 SL Manual gear shift
1972 280SE 3.5 auto

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
Usually I would have the body man fit the car to the grill.  If the car is planned for a long stay I would suggest removing paint etc from the front sheet metal,  bending the grill around for the best fit then doing body work to match the rest of the car to the grille shell then finally send the shell off to be rechromed.  Also fit the car to the headlight bezels.  Sometimes the chrome rings around the headlights are a little wider than the fender so it hepls to fit the car to the headlight ring.