Author Topic: Early 230SL Seat Frame Picture Needed  (Read 2912 times)

gtait

• Regular
  • Sooke, BC Canada
Early 230SL Seat Frame Picture Needed
« on: April 24, 2017, 03:24:00 »
I have an early 230 (December 1963) with later model seats. I have received new covers and pads from KHM in the early style straight seats. KHM said that the seat pad would need to be modified and the metal seat frame would need to be altered.

The changes needed to the metal frame look fairly obvious, but I would real like to confirm these changes by looking at a picture of an early style frame.

A picture or any advise would be very appreciated.

Ps:  I received a compete leather interior package, carpet and a new top from KHM and the quality looks superb.

Thank You

Gil
Gil
1964 230SL Standard

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
Re: Early 230SL Seat Frame Picture Needed
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 18:13:02 »
Hello Gil,

As an early-230-aficionado owning 2 (poor) pairs of the early-style seats (seat type 1, up to serial 002926) I should know about your question or shoud have pics.
But I don't. ??? :-[

Well...,
I remember faintly how the leaf spring frame of the seat cushion looked like before I sent my (late) '64 seat cushions (seat type 2) out for renovation.

To make a short story long, it "should" be possible to convert a later seat cushion (all seat cushions frames after 002927 are identical until the last 280 SL) but there is then in your case some replacement of the outer flat leaf springs  necessary. And I think this is definitely a job where only an experienced shop can really be of help.
Surely you could cut and weld something there .... but it is made of spring steel and that really weakens if welded .... ??? No good idea,  I think.

Currently I do not have pictures what I am talking about ....
maybe Andy (Andyburns) has some since he has also the early seat type 1 and I remember him having trouble to obtain the correct seat covers from GAHH as well.

Contact him here via PN.

Good luck !

Achim

« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 21:03:44 by 114015 »
Achim
(Germany)

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 21:07:33 »

Postscriptum:
I will try to make pics this weekend for you but (my) time is (this weekend very) limited and I have first to take the original yellow MB-Tex seat cover off to "see" the springs. Maybe only next weekend but I keep this in mind for you.
Biggest hurdle won't be the springs but the seatpad, the so called (rubberized) horse hair pad. That one is 'unobtainium' for seat type 1...; so another hurdle your interior shop has to cope with.

Achim
(seattype 1+2 collector)
Achim
(Germany)

kiheimatt

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 18:06:48 »
I have the seats out on my 1965 (built sept 1964) 230SL. I can provide a pic if those would help.

gtait

• Regular
  • Sooke, BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 03:58:45 »
Achim,   

Thank you for your imput. Mine is an early seat my serial number is 001494 so I will have to modify the metal.  I have been looking at it closely and I belive that I will remove spring metal outer frame and heat and bend to fit and then cut the excess of the end.  I will then re temper the metal.  I agree that seat foam will be the most difficult part and better left with a fitter. Sorry for the late response to your post.

Gil
Gil
1964 230SL Standard