Author Topic: On a becker europa what are these 2 plugs for?  (Read 2617 times)

BaronYoungman

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Joliet
  • Veronica...
On a becker europa what are these 2 plugs for?
« on: March 13, 2017, 15:50:13 »
I know the ones circled in blue are for the speakers , pink is the antenna input, purple is the other ground (the radio frame being a ground also, the yellow being the power input but what are the others in RED ?  (I looked at the becker manual but it didn't make any sense, it says connection for asmuth?? antenna I think, which would make sense if it causes the antenna to power on but why 2 plugs? I have 3 wires that come though the firewall on passenger side from the 2 fuse radio box.  I assume one is power keyed for the radio, one must be keyed for the power antenna? but what is the 3rd , can someone clarify how these are wired so when I turn on the radio the antenna goes up.
Thanks, Bob
Bob "Baron" Youngman
1971 280 SL silver  1 car 0 boxes
1983 500sec Wheeler Dealer AMG Widebody
1985 500sec Paris Autoshow AMG coupe
1994 320sl wifes car
1988 560sec  Japan "Yakuza Car"

Tyler S

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
Re: On a becker europa what are these 2 plugs for?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 17:07:03 »
Bob, The connections circled in red are switched + output for the power antenna. They are both the same, are connected together internally in the radio. A second one would be used if you had a tape player etc..
This needs to be connected to the switched (signal) input of the power antenna.
The wires coming through the firewall should be constant Battery + for the antenna motor, Switched Battery + (keyed) for the radio head (to the power input wire on radio). The third could either be a ground or another wire added for some other accessory by a PO
The Idea is the antenna motor receives constant power at all times. Turning off the key or the radio cuts power to the switched input and the antenna lowers.
Going through a carwash (not that you ever would!!) you simply turn the radio off to lower the antenna.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 17:11:35 by Tyler S. »
1968 (67) 250sl. 4 speed manual. DB180 Silver
1955 220 Cabriolet A. White Grey
2019 E450 Wagon. Majestic Blue
1936 Ford PU Flathead V8. Creme on tan interior.
1989 Volkswagen T3 Westfailia Campmobile. Dove Grey (blue)