Author Topic: Distributor Overhaul  (Read 2545 times)

RonDwyer

Distributor Overhaul
« on: February 12, 2017, 20:40:58 »
I have to admit I never gave much thought to checking the freedom of movement in the breaker plate, but since I had the dizzy out of the car to put on a condensor and points, I checked the travel.  It didn't move easily so I pulled the vacuum assembly and it was still tight.  With only a few more screws to go I figured the plate assembly must come out somehow so I gently worked it up with a screwdriver.  With the ball and spring clamp off it was still tough so I hit it with carb cleaner and it got a lot better.  It is a little tricky to separate the 2 plates as there is a notch and finger to align for removal.  This is the point where you have to be really careful not to break the little copper wire connecting the 2 as you work it apart. 

More carb cleaner, swabs and a bit of time and it was as clean as it can get.  The difference was an incredible increase in freedom of movement.  On reassembly I used my favorite Molybdenum assembly lube, Dow 321 and swabbed on a bit on the moving surfaces.  I assemble engines with this stuff, bearings, cam towers, chains, anything that moves.   Getting it back in tot he housing was a little fun, you have to work against a bit of interference to the aluminum.  The car runs so much better now, the CSV fix worked, it fired up after a few cranks.  Never did that before. 

Now to tackle the front main seal...The underside of this car is a bloody mess.  I think I'll have someone pull the transmission to do that seal but for now I can handle getting this done and then get it to the steam cleaner in San Jose for a complete underside blasting. 

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
Re: Distributor Overhaul
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 04:00:02 »
If your car is a later W113 with Automatic transmission the Automatic trans front seal leak may well be the hub of the torque converter leaking where it was riveted to the body of the torque converter.  I had the hub welded to the torque converter and a bead of weld done around each rivet.

RonDwyer

Re: Distributor Overhaul
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 02:46:52 »
There is an ATF leak as well, however the engine is so grimy that I wont even consider it until after cleaning.  This is one ugly baby but she is cleaning up nicely.